Neurology Community
Loss of balance, coordination

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Loss of balance, coordination

I don't know if this could be related, but I had a back fusion (L5/S1) just over a year ago, feel great regarding my lower back but now I have problems with balance and/or coordination.  I feel lightheaded everyday, worse in the mornings.  I have yet to go to the doctor to find out if I have an inner ear issue that may be causing this, but other signs are the back of my neck is really stiff and the lower part of my head has a numbing pain.....very manageable.  The feeling is like being in a state of ephoria.  Do you think what I'm feeling every day is an inner ear problem or a possible infection as a result of my surgery?  I'm 39 years old and this really all started after the surgery, with one episode resulting in vertigo for about a month.  Any ideas?
Hello.

The thoughts you have put in are apt. The surgery was done about a year ago. It is not very common to have an infection after such a long time, unless the wound has not healed completely.

I do feel that you should get the inner ear screened. An inner ear does not explain the neck stiffness, but infection is not always the reason for neck stiffness. These cold be coincidental.

Please keep me informed. I hope you get more replies from any members who may have similar experiences.

Regards