Neurology Community
Loss of balance, dizziness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Loss of balance, dizziness

About a year ago i started having dizzy spells from time to time. Not thinking it was anything serious I put off getting it checked. After time went by the dizziness started to occur more and more. So about 6 months ago i went to the doctor he suggested it might be my eyes so i got them checked and there was no problem there. So I went for another visit about 3 weeks ago and he said it might be a inner ear infection or possibly allergies and prescribed me a antibiotic to stop the inner ear infection and a allergie med. I left the dr. feeling like this was def. going to help me because he sounded pretty sure about the inner ear infection. Now three weeks later i stopped in today for an appointment and its worse than ever!! Now I have dizziness almost all the time, almost total loss of balance and nausia. Its actually difficult for me to walk or even stay stading up for a long period of time. Anyway when i went in today he prescribed me meclizine and is trying to set me an appiontment to take a ct scan. Does my problem sound serious? Im getting scared of the thought thinking i might have a brain tumor or something. My full symptoms are almost constant dizziness especially when standing, loss of balance, not so much headaches but pressure around my head, feels like my hearing is dulled or almost like im under water, and when i get really dizzy i have terrible nausea a feeling like im really hung over. I really just would like to know if it sounds like something serious or am i just worring way to much please respond! I would appreciate it very much!
You could have somehting called spinal stenosis you have some of the symptoms. This can cause a nerve or nerves to get pinched. I just had an MRI of the cervical spine and mine showed no problem with stenosis. A ct scan is a good start although you didnt say what they were going to scan. If you can you should probably get a brain MRI and if that shows nothing get an MRI of the cervial spine. I have the same symptoms as you except I dot have the nausea. This could also be caused by diabetes so if you havent had blood test to test for it might want to have that done to check. There are quite a few things that can cause your symptoms. I would suggest that you make an appoitment with a neurologist as i sounds like it could be something he could help you with if it is not diabetes or some other disease that could cause these type of symptoms. I wouldnt mess around with a GP or an Internal  Medicine guy very long tho I would get to a neurologist and have him check it out.

How are you?
Inner ear diseases like Meniere’s disease and BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) also need to be ruled out.
Sinusitis, postural hypotension also cannot be ruled out. The possibility of cerebral aneurysm and brain tumor is also there.
It is difficult to tell without a neurological examination, though a brain tumor usually produces other neurological symptoms like weakness and in coordination etc also.
Keep us posted!

Ok thanks alot for responding! ... Ya  I have had a blood test and everything checked out good. Im supposed to go in monday for a ct scan ill keep you guys posted thanks!
hi evrybody, me  too is feeling a lot of dizziness and pressure on my eyes mostly right side and pain at the back of my head above my neck,unsteadiness when i walk and stand, muscle weakness,neck pain shoulder and sometimes arm pain. i was diagnosed with multi level disc degeneration of my cervical spine 5 yrs ago, only xray of thoracic showing bones spurring and osteophyte formation, mri of my lumbar showed L4,L5 MILD SPINAL STENOSIS and disc bulge with facet hepertropgy due to nerve impingemnt.. i am also scared i have brain tumor due to my eye pressure, dizziness, light headedness and unsteadiness.. anybody have an insight pls.. im going crazy thinking i have all this back problem and chronic pain and  thinking  i have a brain tumor too?? i hope this odd feeling is just due to my back problem.. any advice would be appreciated. i am 38 years old and in good shape acquired because of my regular gym before.. now i am just maintaining a back stretching exercises daily.. it helped me  after all those years but i cant afford that a new possible disorder is with me...