Neurology Community
Loss of balance, near fainting, numbness?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

For about a year now, I have had a debilitating issue with lightheadedness to the point of near fainting (fortunately, I have never lost consciousness), severe issues with balance and spatial distortion, and numbness in certain parts of my body. I have had a CT scan twice within the last year or so--one with a GP, and one at the hospital--and both have come back normal. I have also visited an ENT and had no signs of any ear-related issues.

The spatial distortion and lightheadedness becomes especially bad if I am in a car and there is pressure up against my back; I feel like I am floating away from my body, and if I look down at my legs, they look as if they are very, very far away from me, and no longer attached (I know this sounds weird; it's very difficult to explain). If I get up to walk normally, I can feel my feet on the floor, but I don't feel my legs attached to the rest of my body. On the other hand, when this happens, if I touch anywhere on my body with my hands, I can feel it just fine (although sometimes there is a slight lack of sensation).

Sometimes I will get numbness in my right arm in spots, and my arm will feel very heavy, and if I look at it, I almost feel like it's not my arm. I've been to a cardiologist, have had 2 EKGs, and a scan of my chest, and everything came back completely normal, so I'm sure I'm not having a stroke. (Also, I'm only 22, so it's much more unlikely).

I don't have any lack of coordination, I don't have any kind of muscle weakness; everything functions exactly how I want it to, I just... can't feel it or sense it properly. I also have frequent and sometimes extreme pain in my neck and back, as well as frequent pain down my lower back to my knee (it is isolated to one leg when it happens, but it does switch legs from time to time). I have a misalignment in my lower back, but my Chiropractor says that it shouldn't be causing these problems, and suggested a pinched nerve. I do notice that if I try to massage my back, and I put pressure on a certain part near my lower neck, my arm will start to go numb (although I don't notice any other symptoms). Has anyone experienced anything like this or know anything about what it could be? I've been to about 8 different doctors now (I went to a neurologist before, but I didn't really like the one I saw) and I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but my Rheumatologist said these symptoms are also unusual, as well.

Sorry about the very long message, it's just my symptoms are many, and also difficult to explain.