Loss of balance
I have recently had some loss of balance issues. It can happen when sitting or standing and I haven't noticed any pattern. It feels like the earth moves down and to the right. Yesterday I was standing and I fell over to the right. Again, it felt like the earth moved. Immediately afterward I felt a little nauseous and needed to lay down for a few minutes, but then I was fine. Other symptoms I've had which may or may not be relevant include insomnia and frequent urination. I'm sure I should see a doctor, unfortunately, I don't have insurance and can't afford a doctor's visit - let alone the tests they may want to run. Any clues from anyone with this kind of experience?
How long has it been since the ear surgery?
I am sorry; just now saw the surgery was in 1992.  I believe there is a problem with your inner ear; possible labyrinthitis.  I am experiencing the same problem with the floor/ground rocking/moving.  I do have problems sleeping too.  The frequent urination I am not sure what is causing that.  

No free clinics and/or teaching hospital nearby you?   I would try to find out and have a physician see you ASAP.  You do not want to wait dealing with an inner ear problem; trust me.

I am taking betahistine three times/day and just started vestibular exercises.  

Try to stay as active as possible; it will help you in the long run.