Neurology Community
Loss of calf muscles

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Loss of calf muscles

I have similar problem on the calf muscle of right leg.

My right leg calf muscle is 2 inch smaller than right leg calf muscle. As a result of this I am not able to stand on the toes of my right leg.

I began noticing the change in my walking style (from normal to slight limp) in year 2000 when it was hardly noticeable. Gradually over the years, I started limping a lot and now its clearly visible.

The calf muscle size difference was detected by doctors. They did MRI, nerve conduction test etc.  They found no nerves are compressed in spine cord.

I do not feel any pain in the right leg. There is no other weakness in right/left side of my body. I can sense the temp. difference , touch etc on affected leg.

Doctors are cluless on what might have caused this. The loss is not progressive since the muscle loss is same as when it was detected in 2005.

There has been a thinking that an injection was given wrongly on the vital nerve for calf muscle. But is there a way to confirm the same?

Of course is there any other cause for this problem?

Dr. has finally asked me to join physiotherapy sessions to maintain the muscles.

I have been hearing a lot about stem cell therepy...will that be useful in this case?

kindly guide.

This discussion is related to Loss of calf muscles.
Rewording one point from above:
I do not feel any pain in the right leg

I mean there is no pain in the right leg because of this loss.

Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

The most common cause of progressive muscle weakness is Myasthenia Gravis and that gets worse with your exercises & activities. In addition, muscle atrophy (shrinking) may appear in some patients with severe weakness, if they have MG for many years. Additionally, muscular dystrophy & hyperkalemic periodic paralysis, (hereditary diseases), severe nerve impingement in back (spine) may also cause leg muscle atrophy and paralysis. Therefore, I would recommend you to neurologist who can evaluate the details of your case and could better determine the insight of your situation. Hope this helps.
i took a one hour flight to london 4 wks ago and since then my left calf keeps swelling no pain but i just feel the thightness in that calf and its about 2 inches bigger than other calf i suffer lower back neck and stiffness in arms also vertigo i am on b12 injections the last 3 days i also suffer optic nuritis have had mri 2 yrs ago but was clear i wish they would do mri of the spine ? doc dont seam concerned about my calf ??  hugs
My husband had leg soreness and stiffness for many years before he was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis.He was put on medication for this and he improved dramatically.It's worth it to have a blood test.