Neurology Community
Loss of smell and taste

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Loss of smell and taste

I had a bad fall htting the back of my head 6 months age, I have not had smell or taste since. I had a full brain scan which came back normal, My doctor said I might never get back my taste and smell, as the nerve ends may not grow back. I do experience the most horrible taste and smell it isnt there all the time but most of the time, I cant begin to explain what its like because it is imposible. I wish more than anything to have my senses bach as it is really getting me down and making me feel depresses, has anyone recovered from these symptoms? If so how long did it take?
I had a mild TBI a year and 7 months ago and lost the real sense of smell and taste.  Over time it got only little better (20%) and that is it.  I can imagine what you are going through and I am in the same boat.  

You can go the following link and relate what people going through and some got lucky to get it back.  No one can predict what will be the outcome and keep praying (if you pray).

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Head--Traumatic-Brain-Injury/Head-trauma-causes-loss-of-smell-taste/show/612120
hi my name is Chris and my dad had a bad fall down a flight of stairs and i am scared, but appearantly there are some type of hair folicals in the body and you lose your sense of smell and taste if their shaved off. one doctor says they'll grow back but another says they wont could someone find out a little more info for me cause all i've hit are dead ends can someone plz help me
If you really want to go further and has time and money you can check the doctor in Washington D.C.   Make no mistake there is no guarantee whatsoever from anyone.

http://www.tasteandsmell.com/