Neurology Community
Lost eye focus when tilting head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lost eye focus when tilting head

I'm a fairly healthy male in his early 30's.  I noticed over the years in both video and pictures, that I have gradually been tilting my head to the right side.  It's progressively gotten worse and is more prevelant when something requires focus such as reading or watching TV.  I notice that tilting my head to the right side provides a much better focus and looking out of the left side of both eyes while my head is turned to the right, provides no adverse conditions at all and its quite comfortable...as opposed to the inverse.

When I turn my head to the left and keep a center focus or try to look right, I can't focus my eyes properly and even feel a bit disoriented.  When I tilt my head to the left, my vision becomes blurred, I experience a bit of double vision and I become a bit more disoriented.  I've even noticed that sleeping on my left side at night appears to be a little bit more dizzying in terms of my feeling 'balanced'.  It's not disruptive quite yet but very noticeable. At this point I cannot lay on my couch and watch TV from my left side...as I cannot focus at all. Right side, no problem.

Unfortunately I'm not experienced in this topic and have read several articles and posts but they all seem to have different diagnoses.  Should I be seeing an ophthalmologist or a neurologist?  I'm not sure exactly who might be able to effectively identify and treat my issue since it's unclear to me if it's a brain issue , eye muscle issue, inner ear issue or one of the three that effects the rest somehow.  Any advice is appreciated.
I would start by seeing an ophthalmologist. It's possible that you have developed strabismus(eye turns inward or outward)and have gradually developed a habit of tilting your head in order to compensate. (I had corrective surgery for this a few years ago). I sympathize, as I know how disconcerting double vision can be! You may also see an ear specialist. If you feel off balance when lying on one side, you could have fluid behind your eardrum, or possibly a perforation (I have experience with that as well). Hope this helps and that everything turns out ok for you!