Low potassium and preventing seizures or stroke
I had a hemorraghic stroke 1-1/'2 years ago and had dangerously low potassium levels (I'm 55 years old and pretty healthy). This week I had my first seizure and the hospital said I again had low potassium levels (and gave me a potassium drip).
They released me from the hospital yesterday and want me to take Lamictal (gradual dosage increase) to prevent another seizure.
Questions: Would it not be healthier to take potassium supplements to avoid a seizure? My MRIs/Scans this week did not show any signs that I had a stroke or bleed, so the neurologists are assuming I had a partial stroke. Can low potassium cause a stroke? I had a tooth pulled the day before my "seizuere" (only with novacain) and also had dental surgery the day before my stroke. Could dental (bone graft) surgery have caused my stroke?

Hi.

I believe the most important thing now is to know the reason behind why your potassium levels are decreasing.  Possible causes would include kidney conditions such as RTA (renal tubular acidosis) which can be diagnosed through blood and urine tests.  I believe a nephrologist consult is also in order since the diagnosis and treatment for these conditions requires a different level of expertise. Low potassium levels do not cause strokes.

Hemorrhagic strokes are most commonly caused by dangerous elevations in blood pressure.  The surgery that you had before the stroke may have caused some form of blood pressure abnormalities that may have contributed to the stroke (your operative record should have blood pressure monitoring charts).

Thanks for replying so quickly. they did a blood analysis in the hospital last week but I might  see a nephrologist for another opinion, as you suggested. I

I have medium to low blood pressure and am pretty healthy-- except for the "partial seizure" diagnosis. \Maybe the seizure was caused by the damaged cells in my brain (I did not have neuro surgery after the stroke).

I hope it is possible for seizures to stop eventually. I would hate for this to be a life-long problem.
I had a severe seizure abouy 3 years ago.When I was found my heart beat was 32 beats per minute.I fell backwards and busted my head (scalp) and had to have 4 stiches. I was immediately taken to the hospital after I was able to be awakenened (about 2  minutes).The only problem the doctors could find was very low potassium levels in my blood stream. My question is, can this still effect me? And, if so, how? I had very shallow breathing also.
I have recently had an MRI on my brain which showed some abnomalities. I am waiting (have an appointment) to see a neurosurgeon.
It is not the low potassium induced seizure, instead it is the seizure that induced low potassium. The brain released a lot of potassium and and exuded your body to urine at the seizure. Afterwards, the brain tried to takeback the potassium, so your blood potassium is low.