Neurology Expert Forum
Lower Back Pain (Lumbar Region)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lower Back Pain (Lumbar Region)

Re: Re: Lower Back Pain (Lumbar Region)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF Neuro MD *!* on December 18, 1997 at 16:46:59:

In Reply to: Re: Lower Back Pain (Lumbar Region) posted by denise on December 12, 1997 at 11:27:35:

: I'm a 32 yr. old female with a long history of Scoliosis and related problems. I've had 3 spinal surgeries, and for the past year have been experiencing low back pain, too. I went in for a series of 3 epidural injections myself - and also was not told to do any exercises. I would think if your doctor wanted you to be on an exercise program, he would've put you on one.
  It's probably not a good idea to do alot of exercises after an injection anyways, because it may irritate the problem more. Your body needs time to adjust to the epidural and time to heal. You said you were going in for another injection soon - why would you want to exercise so soon anyways? Aren't you still sore from the injection? See, mine had to be put in through my tailbone due to the fact I'm fused from the spinal surgery. I had a hard time sitting for a few days after I had the injections.
  Has the first epidural been successful in relieving your pain? My problem stems from Spinal Stenosis and it didn't do much good for me. I was curious to the effects it has on your disc problem. Is your doctor contemplating any surgery if the epidurals don't work?

: I am a 34 year old male in good physical shape. I weigh 185 lbs. am
  : 5'10" tall and have never had problems with my back.
  : About 14 months ago I began to experience severe pain in my lower back,
  : along with a tingling sensation in my left buttocks and thigh.
  : My physician diagnosed my condition as a tightening of a muscle and
  : subscribed Lodine (a muscle relaxant).
  : About 10 months later I began to experiance the same symptoms.  Again
  : my physician put me on the same muscle relaxant and the pain went away.
  : This time, however, the pain returned after only a month.  At this time
  : he decided I may have a problem with a disc.  A C.T. Scan was done and it was found that I have a slightly protruding disc (L5).
  : My physician ordered a Epidural injection and I am now recuperating.
  : Other then telling me to take it easy and to sleep on my back on a hard surface (the floor to be exact), I was not told to do any type of exercise
  : or to go through any physical rehab.
  : My question is: What kind of exercises (if any) can I be doing?
  : I am also scheduled to go in for my second epidural in the next couple of days.
***********************
See answer above