Neurology Community
Lower Lumbar Disk pain and pain in neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lower Lumbar Disk pain and pain in neck

I have been diagnosed with 2 bulging disks in my lower back. They are pressing against a nerve and causing pain. Also I have a weird pain in my neck and left arm. It is a tingling,stabbing and sometimes pinching pain. I have to get a MRI next week on my cervical spine. I go to a pain management center. I am on Ultram 50 mg 4x a day and Gabapentin 300 mg 2x a day. I am still in pain. Should I see a neurologist about this pain? My doctor at the pain center is pushing me to get shots in my neck, but I have heard different stories of bad experiences with this. I am unsure about what type of treatment I need to seek. The pain is starting to go up into the back of my head at night now. Please give me some advice.
Hello Dear,

Treatment options are geared toward pain relief.  Pain medications such as NSAIDs, corticosteroids orally or injected, anti-spasm drugs, anti-convulsants to help with the burning pain, and in some cases, narcotic pain relievers are given.
Physical therapy such as hydrotherapy, massage, and hot/cold therapy.
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) is a treatment in which a painless electrical current is sent to specific nerves through electrode patches that are placed on the skin. The mild electrical current generates heat that serves to relieve stiffness, improve mobility, and relieve pain.You can try corticosteroid shots if the pain in unbearable.These might relieve some inflammation and may give you some relief,but it is temporary and the only treatment in your case is good physiotherapy with back and nack exercises and yoga.
Treatment methods should be focused on pain relief and maintaining quality of life.

Refer http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article180.html
Best