Neurology Community
Lumbar Puncture complication?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lumbar Puncture complication?

I had a lumbar puncture about 36 hours ago.  The procedure took over one hour because I had a very slow drip.  This afternoon I have been experienced spells of radiating sharp pain in my upper back radiating into my neck and progressing into my chest.  These spells are lasting around 10 minutes and take me to the floor, I cannot lift my head for the pain that radiates through my arms and takes my breath.  I cannot find anywhere that this could be related to the lumbar puncture and am not sure if I should contact a doctor.  What should I do?  
Hi.  many people experience headaches following an LP, but I have never heard of what you are describing.  They say that nerve damage can happen during an LP.  Call the doctor who did the puncture.

It is suggested that you lie flat after an LP, drink plenty of fluids, and caffeine can help the headache. For the headaches, often a "blood patch" stop the headache almost immediately.  If your spinal pressure was low (causing a slow drip) you might have had low volume of spinal fluid, thus are feeling the effects of further loss of fluid.   The "blood patch" stops any further leak that you might have.

Call your doctor.  If it gets very bad go to the ER.  Good luck.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
What was your lumbar puncture done for? If it was done for diagnoising a disease then it might be a complication of meningitis etc. What is the result of your spinal fluid analysis. Correlate all the complications  which pertained after the LP and also with the report near your Physician. Take care and take some pain killers till that time.
Thank you for your responses.  I have been experiencing progressive neurological issues, the test was for MS, luekemia, menningitis (meningitis) and I am not sure what else - my MRI did not show the sign of MS but my symptoms are very similar to those of MS.  I have not had any of these "spells" today which I am grateful for.  I do have the headache now and am very fatigued.  I will follow up with my neurologist next week.  Thank you.