Neurology Expert Forum
Lumbar Puncture results

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lumbar Puncture results
I recently had a spinal tap for testing of MS. My doctor said the results were "basically normal" pointing to no specific thing. My disability as well as spasms are increasing very rapidly. What do you make of these results? GOU-L64, PROT-ELEC *COMMENT, TP 37, TUBE/NO 3, WBC 4, RBC H2, POLYS 0, MONONUCL 100, "OTHER" 100. Which would be the bands? All of them were highlighted telling me that something is wrong. I'm sorry I have no more info except that all but MS has been ruled out. Thank-you for your help.
The most important things that we look for in a spinal fluid sample with regards to MS are immune system breakdown products, none of which you mention. Bands should be reported directly as "oligoclonal bands". There is also a Tourtellote's panel which includes IgG synthesis rate, IgG index, etc... And finally, at some hospitals such as CCF, we order myelin basic protein (breakdown product of myelin) and kappa light chains. Unless there were more studies that were ordered, there is nothing in the fluid that points to or away from the diagnosis of MS. THe reported numbers that you provide are unremarkable, but should be taken into clinical context. GOod luck.
What are your symptoms that has prompted them to test you for MS.  I know you said you have spasms, but what other type of things do you have going on?  Can you be a little more specific?  I was just wondering about it so maybe I and others could comment more accurately.

Thanks smokeater
Click on "search this site" and go to "M" then Multiple sclerosis. You can view all the prev questions and see the syptoms of MS etc..  There is no way a neuro will rule out MS only with a spinal tap. If that is what your neuro did find another neuro that specialises in MS.  They need to perform a complete neuro exam of you AND perform MRI's of the brain, brain stem and spine with and without contrast (dye). Its the only way to be certain there are no MS lesions which could be causing your problems Or lesions there that will cause problems later etc..
Good luck to you I hope you are cared for well.

My symptoms, unfortunately, have been covered up for so long with medications and lack of tests because they thought it was all disk problems in my back. I lived in another state. I tried saying they were wrong because a lumbar disk won't cause arm weakness and they wouldn't listen. Anyway, I have bladder problems...incontinence/inability to void, past 2 weeks, mild incontinence of my bowels, weakness/numbness of all extremities, especially on the left, electrical shocks in my head, severe headaches, burning on my left side of my face, I'm in a wheelchair for distances...in fact, we're in the process of building a wheelchair accessible house.I'm on Baclofen for the pain (80mg per day) and its no longer helping. I get dizzy often, loss of balance, double/blurred vision, ON behind my eyes, IBS, Reflux and trouble swallowing, frequent falls, I don't know, there's just soooo much to list. I'm sick of being told to take drugs. I'll be seeing a new neuro on May 1st. I've researched so much its incredible, plus I'm medically trained. I had an MRI quite about 6 months ago with contrast and nothing was found, though the lumbar was without contrast. My EMG was positive for "a demylineating condition". I just wish I could know what my LP results mean. The games have gone on for way too long.
So, basically, they did a lumbar puncture and none of the tests they did were for MS?
My friend has MS and has identical syptoms as yours only she does not show lesions on her MRI or anything as they have said that it is still in the eraly stages, but the symptoms are so dibilitating at times she can no longer work, drive etc.Here are some web sites you may find helpful:

www.neurologychannel.com/multiplesclerosis/

www.msfacts.org/

www.msactivesource.com/

www.ifmss.org/

www.nmss.org/

Hope that helps you some.  I know my friend really got alot of info off of the first website I listed.  Please post back and let us know how you are doing.  Take care and God Bless!

Smokeater
Tried out the ms sites you posted (hope you don't mind) you were right they are good . I usually post as zoltanvarga but it wont accept my password!re registered and here i am . Good health to you will let you know if I find any more sites                anne
Thank-you so much for the sites. Many of them I've already looked into. I got my other results back from my LP but still don't know much. My protein, only says "medium concern", and the bands were zero...so back to the waiting/falling apart game I guess. My disability is increasing as now my bladder and intestines are more involved...YUCK!!! Why does this have to take so long? I hope to know more on the 1st when I see the new neurologist. In the meantime, I've seen 2 forms from 2 different docs that bth say dx: MS. If they can write it, why can't they say it and treat me for it?
Dear Wendy I can share your frustrations. I have been in limbo land for some time. I have been told probable ms, ms, no you don't have ms it is depression the whole nine yards. I have a long clinical history, and many test to back a ms diagnosis. I have at least four lesions on my mri, protien in my spinal fluid, some nerve damage, I have had two seizures, mono, and still no diagnosis. After almost five years I'm at the end of my rope!! I have through the corse of this jorney found a wonderful support group. They are at www.medsupport.com Come by and see us sometime. It is a great place for moral support. Hope you get some answers.    Missy