Neurology Community
Lumbar Synovial Cyst Surgery Recovery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lumbar Synovial Cyst Surgery Recovery

I have been diagnosed with a synovial cyst at L4/L5.  In 1998 I had those levels fused with the titanium cages packed with bone marrow due to severe spondylothesis.  If I decide to go with surgical removal of the cyst, what should I expect the recovery to be like?  Time line?  Limitations?  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. I understand that you have already been  operated on the same vertebral levels for spondylolisthesis in 1998. You can expect a lot of fibrosis, adhesions, altered and different anatomy at these levels when the neurosurgeon will re explore. These could cause problems in the approach and considerable tissue manipulation. The approach to the synovial cysts might be difficult due to the implants. My suggestion is that it would be best if you discuss the details of this surgery with the operating neurosurgeon, clarifying the pros and cons, benefits of getting them removed or not in the setting of a previous surgery at the same level. Also, confide in him any co morbidity that you may have, if any. Take care.

Avatar_dr_f_tn

Thank you, I am meeting with the surgeon on Thursday.  I've been reading that my options are either 1) Epidural injections 2) Aspiration 3) Surgery.  I know the epidurals will only provide short term pain relief.  Aspiration seems like a possibility, but the results and potential for recurrence seem mixed. Surgery appears to be the definitive option, but I haven't had any luck finding out about post surgical recovery in cases where fusion was not required.  Given a standard cyst excision, what would be expected recovery timeline be?
I had decompression surgery on my L4/L5 Feb 2011, the pain eased for only a couple of weeks. Cysts had appeared at the site of surgery where they had removed the offending bone, giving me the same symptoms but degenerating over the following months. I started to get 'numbness' and weakness in areas, including bowel and bladder (the opposite of incontinent). I was eventually operated on in Dec 2011 to remove the cysts. Complications after surgery with nerve function sent me back into theatre the next day. The pain was gone after surgery (wonderful) but again I started getting pain back but this time on the other side. My bowel and bladder started improving then, suddenly, as the pain worsened, started to get worse again. MRI showed that cysts had grown back. Please what can I do about this.
'Hi I had a cyst removed in June this year 2013. I was in constant pressure pain for a year and a half before they operated. The cyst painl was gone after the surgery, then I had to put up with the recovery time of about 3 months before I could lift or do anything, and now sadly I am getting new pains. Just when you thought everything was going good...I believe...once your back has been messed with...that's it, there will always be problems. (the cyst occurred fourteen years after repeat surgeries. Two were revisions from the first one which the titanium screws broke.) I feel like a lost cause. :(