Neurology Community
Lumbar puncture,then blood patch,now neck pain/headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I posted  yesterday about some other symptoms(urinating problems)due to the blood patch.I had a lumbar puncture done Friday(I have MS) and then had to go back on Saturday for a blood patch for a spinal headache.My headache went away instantly.This afternoon I started getting a lot of neck pain almost like muscle pain and it went into my head.Now I have a turmendous headache again especially when I sit or stand.Could it be possible that I need another blood patch or could it possibly just be from muscle spasms etc.Do you know of patients that had a blood patch and the headaches went away and came back like a day later?Thank you very much  
Yes, I've heard when blood patches did not take or hold.... and more than one were required.  The best advice I can give is to: 1 - Stay in contact with your doctor, and 2 - Lie FLAT as much as humanly possible.  CSF leaks can and often do seal on their own without a blood patch.  But, this won't happen unless you lie flat and give it the chance.

God Bless!
Amy
I and a lp done about 4 weeks ago and went in 2 days later for a blood patch.  I was told by to dr doing the patch that sometimes they need to repeat it but she's never had to do more than 2 on a patient.  I hated it so I went home and stayed in bed for the next 2 days, only getting up to go to the bathroom.  

They said that bedrest is good because the CSF leak can heal itself.  I still have headaches if I am up for along time, and a stiff neck.  My neuro gave me neurontin to try for the headaches.  I don't notice a difference yet though. I was also told to drink caffiene or take excedrin migraine.  

GL, hope you feel better
I am experiencing similar neck pain and right side headache after 3 rd spinal tap and no luck with medications other than giving temporary relief. please update if something has worked for you.

Sen
I also had a blood patch last week and am having neck pain and a headache on the back right side of my head. When I put my hand on my forehead and push with my head against my hand it's instant pain the second I back off the pressure against my hand. I also can push on the top back part of my head straight down and when I release I almost faint. Does anyone know if I need another patch? Please god I hope not. It was awfull but as we all know reading this IT'S BETTER THAN THE HEADACHE WE ALL HAD BEFORE THE BLOOD PATCH. I've broken almost every bone in my body at least twice and I would break them all at the same time before I'll have that headache pain again. Good gosh, I'm surprised more people don't literally die from the pain. I've was in and out of consiosness in the E.R. it was so painful. And no, the blood patch didn't help me learn how to spell any bettttter. lol Godspeed to everyone and pray nobody you know has the spinal fuid leaking headache!!!!!!!!!!  My 75mg fentanyl patch i consistanly wear and 15mg oxycodone every hour combined didn't touch the pain.
My 10 year old daughter had a spinal tap Friday afternoon.   Kept her flat on her back until mid-morning Saturday.   Difficulty standing followed by excrutiating headache.   Did some research on line and called the doctor (hospital gave terrible discharge instructions/notice) and decided best to lay her back down for another 24 hours.   Each time she gets up, headache returns.   No longer excrutiating but keeping her from moving around.   We're at post 72 hours now.   Should I wait it out another day or go back to the dreaded ER for the blood patch????
I had a LP done on 2-3-10 and had to have a blood patch on 2-6-10 and another on 2-10-10. my spinal migraines are gone. I have a severe back ache and it hurts to sit on the toilet. I get small headaches and blurred vission. My legs feel week and I get light headed often. the last blood patch scaredme away from the ER and I never want to go back. I have to wait will april to getinto a neuologist. should I be worried about this or just wait it out?
Hi everyone,
I had a lumbar puncture done 2 1/2months ago, and got tinnitus in both ears the day after. I didn´t have a headache, but severe neck pain. Today I still have tinnitus, and my doctor says that a blood-patch won´t resolve that problem and therefor won´t give me one. Anyone have heard or have experienced same problem. Going crazy here:) Thanks a lot.
By the way, I still have the neck pain, if any one has some exp. with that as well. Will a bloodpatch help on that ?
Had spinal tap on fri in er.  Went back to er on sat with severe headache, stiffness, dizziness and blurred vision.  Had a blood patch done on sun, which gave 75% instant relief.  By tuesday all the symptoms came back.  Following up with doctor tomorrow to see if I need another blood patch.  Can't take this pain....
I had lumbar puncture last Friday because I was having Awful headaches then I went to hospital 3 times after due to severe headaches where I could not stand up or due anything! Dr. Decided to send me to anesthesiologist for blood patch! One day after blood patch I went back to having the severe headaches in front my head around the temporal lobe and bad back pain ! This has been going on for entire week! No meds work and I even been vomiting ! Any advice ???
had a spinal tap checking for unknown cause of severe headaches, had a bloodpatch 4 days later, headache not a severe as prior to bloodpatch but now right below the temple and sometimes shoots through right eye socket 9 days later, dr also said may require another patch at the time of the procedure but when called stated caffiene or no-doze, neither working. My pcp stated if a second patch does not work, there is a procedure that requires cutting into the dura and gluing it sealed. Heaven forbid!! Trying to ride it out and hope it heals, over the counter meds just now starting to work a little.
I also got tinnitus 2 months ago from an epidural. I think we are just stuck with it. I got the blood patch 4 weeks after the epidural and it didn't help the ringing.
many times one will have a headache for a while following a blood patch procedure.  this is due to the pressure change from being so low due to the leaks. once the patches are completed pressure will rise and it takes a while for the pressure to adjust..it should subside with time.  diamox is given to help bring the pressure down until it does.
I have exactly same problem. I got headache, dizziness and tinnitus after lumbar puncture 3 1/2 month ago. A bloodpatch help on my headache but the dizziness and tinnitus is still there - dizzynes however slowly improwing. They wont give me another bloodpatch and dont believe the tinnitus is from the lumbar puncture even it came 3 days later. I cant even get another bloodpatch on another hospital because they write in my paper they dont recommand another one. They made a ct-scanning now but cant see anything on it. Anyone who has experience with tinnitus after lumbar puncture and if I went away again and after how long?
Hi, how do you feel now?  Is tinnitus gone?
I have the same problem. I had lumbar puncture 6 months ago, and then had headaches. They gave me blood patch, but didn't work well. Almost 6 months now. My headaches are light now, but I have ringing in my right ear. Really worry about how long I can be back to normal:(
I was so lucky so I got a bloodpatch more on another hospital and my dizziness improved but not the tinnitus, but I still have some dizzines left too. I really dont hope we have to deal with it the rest of our life. Anyone else who has experience with tinnitus after lumbalpunction and  when did it go away? I got tinnitus 3 days after the lumbalpunction and when they made on of my bloodpatches it start ringing in the other ear as well, so now I have in both ears.