Neurology Community
Lump on my neck.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lump on my neck.

Im 23 years old and i've had a lump on the right side of my neck 4 about 4 months & its been getting bigger in size it ives me reali bad headaches & stabbing pains where the lump is located. The dr. sent me 4 a brain scan and nothing. So he sent me 2 a specialist & hes sendin me 4 a targeted ultrasound. But im so scared because cancer runs in my family. Does anyway know what it could be??? I would appreciate anyones help or input.
What I have found out so far about lumps is that it could be an infection somewhere in your body that could make this happen to you and of course the obvious cancer, however we develop lumps everywhere on our bodies. I have a tumor on my left leg, a tumor on my liver, lung nodules, a small tumor on my sheen and who knows where else. If the lump isn't hard then there is no deep concern. I too have some family history as far as cancer goes and it's really scary because every little thing that pops up we get terrified like we are a walking time bomb waiting to explode. I hope that everything is ok, however you never know just keep up with your health and have faith. Ask alot of question even if they may seem stupid, remember it's your body and no one loves you like you love yourself. Hope this helps
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Most likely, your symptoms may be due nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of injury or prolapse due to neck lump where contact between the edges of the vertebrae can cause neck pain. In few people, this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head, shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) that you felt. Other symptoms are like neck pain and stiffness can be intermittent. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe Pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar/stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.