Neurology Community
MRI Brain & Nerve Conduction
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

MRI Brain & Nerve Conduction

I've had a positive ANA 1:640 speckled pattern with right sided tingling and numb  (pins and needles) type feeling off and on for ten years. Now the past two years I've also had pain in my lower legs. Then in the past year the pain, weird tingling numb like feelings have started in my right arm with similar feelings in the left arm for the past 6 months or so.
Two years ago I had a nerve conduction study done that I don't have.
Then July of 2007 I had a MRI of my brain done with the following findings: There are multiple white matter foci of abnormal increased t2/FLAIR signal. There are greater than nine lesions, but only one of which is in the periventricular white matter oriented perpendicular to the lateral ventricles. The remainder of the lesions are subcortical. There are no infratentorial lesions. No enhancing lesions are seen. The optic nerves are normal in appearance. There is no evidence of intracranial hemorrhage, infarct, mass effect, or extra-axial fluid collection.
IMPRESSION: Multiple predominantly subcortical white matter lesions in a distribution which is atypical for multiple sclerosis.
Then I had a nerve conduction study done in February 2008.
It says the studies were performed at 34 degrees centigrade. The right median, ulnar, peroneal and tibial nerve studies showed normal distal motor latencies, CMAP amplitudes, conduction velocities and F-wave latencies.
The right median, ulnar, superficial radial and left superficial peroneal nerve studies showed normal peak latencies and SNAP amplitudes except for mildly prolonged median peak latency. Bilateral sural nerve studies showed normal peak latencies with borderline SNAP amplitudes. The right superficial peroneal nerve study showed normal peak latency with reduced SNAP amplitude.
CONCLUSION: Borderline study: This electrodiagnostic study shows evidence of a very mild right carpal tunnel syndrome without any axon loss. There may be an underlying minimal axonal sensory neuropathy.
Comparing these studies with her prior studies done 2 years ago may be useful to assess for any changes. Clinical correlation is recommended.

Now I have a high pitched sound in both ears (even when I put my fingers in my ears) that seems fluctuate up and down. I don't have an ear infection or blockage and have an appointment for some auditory tests.
Several questions:
1. What does "clinical correlation is recommended" in the nerve test mean? Just to compare the two? What does "there may be an underlying minimal axonal sensory neuropathy" mean?
2. Could the MRI suggest anything?
3. Could this be related to the ANA that has been positive on and off for ten years with different diagnoses of maybe Lupus, maybe fibromyalgia maybe something else?

Thank you for your help.