Neurology Community
MRI Cervical Spine results confusing

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI Cervical Spine results confusing

I am a 41 year old woman and have had back pain for as long as I can remember, I have just had an MRI perfromed and am wondering if anyone can make things a bit clearer to me as I cant get in to my specialist for 2 weeks.

At C2/3 there is a focal midline posterior disc protrusion with mild indentation of the anteriro theca.  
At C3/4 there is a left prarcentral posterior disc protrusion with posteriror bony lipping.  Tere is mild indentation of the anterior cord on the left.  there is mild to moderate bilaterial froraminal narrowing ,worse on the left.
At C4/5 there is degenerative loss of disc height with broad-based posterior bulging and enterior and posteriro bony lipping.  There is mild indentation of the anterior cord across the midline, with mild central canal narrowing.  Mild bilaterial foraminal narrowing is seen,more prounounced on the left.  There is thickening of the posterior longitudinal ligament along the C5 vertebral body, with narrowing of the central canal and mild flatteniong of the anterior cord across this region.
At C5/6 there is loss of disc height with broad-based posterior bulging and anterior and posterior osteophytic lipping.  Thickening of the posterior longitudinal ligament is again seen, extended inferiorly behind the C6 vertebral body.   These results in mild-to-moderate narrowing of the central canal, with moderate indentation of the anterior cord toward the right at the C5/6 disc level.  There is moderate bilateral foraminal narrowing, worse on the righ.
At C6/7 there is loss of disc height with broad-based posterior bulgingna dn mild naterior and posterior bony lipping.  Indentation of the anterior theca is seen, without significant indentation of the cord.  there is mild left and moderate right forminal narrowing.
At C7/T1 there is mild degenerative chage at the right facet joint with mild right foraminal narrowing .  the disc has normal height and contour.
At T1/2 to T4/5 the dsic have normal appearance
There is straightening of the normal mid-cervical lordotic curvature across the degenerative disc levels.  no focal cord signal abnmomality of syrinx cavity is seen.
COMMENT:
There is mild degenerative narrowing of the central canal from C4/5 to C6/7, with flattening of the anterior cord and moderate indentation of the anterior cord toward the right at C5/6.  Mild left anterior cord indentation is seen at C3/4.  There is moderate eft foraminal narrowing at C3/4 and C5/6, and moderate right frominal narrowing at C5/6 and C6/7.

It all sounds very technical to me, I do have a lot of pain but have learnt to live with it, am on no medication and am noticing that when I lay in bed my legs go numb and my shoulders and wrists are always tingiling with pain.

Hi.

Your findings basically indicate some stenosis and narrowing of foramens at the cervical level which could be resulting in the compression of the spinal cord as well as the nerve roots.  This findings could definitely be related to your symptoms of leg numbness and should and wrist pain.

You should consult a neurologist and have him correlate these findings with your clinical presentation.

Good luck.