Neurology Community
MRI Help

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI Help

Can someone help w/ MRI.  What does it all mean?

C5-C6 severe disc space narrowing, endplate spondylosis ridging producing moderately severe, right greater than left recess and foraminal comprimise.

C6-C7 moderately severe disc space narrowing w/ a broad disc and osteophyte spondylotic ridge abuting the cord, producing mild central canal stenosis and moderately severe right and left recess and forminal comprimise.

Impression: Spondylotic ridging at C5-C6 and C6-C7.

My question.....how serious is "Ostophyte abutting the cord?"

Was in car accident in 08-08, pt seems to be doing nothing, neck, arm pain.  Nuero Surgeon said try PT.  

Hello, Mike.

I am not a doctor and can't explain every term. I had a disk removed at C6/C7 and had many MRI reports to read.  The disc narrowing can be caused by a number of things but it appears to be a form of arthritis (that's what spondylosis is). And, you have the same issue at C6/C7.  Disc narrowing will decrease the spacing between the vertebrae and can cause nerve pinching and even irritate the muscles in the area which could cause them to spasm.  

Osteophytes are bone spurs.  These occur as a result of injury to the area or because of old age.  These too can irritate muscles and nerves.  The foramine is the small opening i the vertebrae that the nerve passes through on the way out to the rest of the body.  If the foramine is compromised, again you'd have nerve pinching.

Stenosis is a narrowing of the central canal - where the nerve bundles travel through.  

In other words, you have serious issues at two levels in your neck.  I'm not suprised that PT is not helping.  Normally, insurance companies require doctors to treat with every means available prior to surgery - even if the MD knows the treatment will probably not work.  

Someone else will have to answer the more technical terms in your report.  If you get to the point where surgery is indicated, please write me and I'll give you some advice from someone who went through this before.

Best of luck!

Curt