Neurology Community
MRI Procedures

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI Procedures

During an MRI does the technician performing the MRI stay with the patient or in an observatory room with intercom the entire time should the MRI need to be terminated for some reason.
Hi I had my latest MRI 6 weeks ago and the technician can't stay with you,but,they are always in contact with you via headphones that you usually wear because it can be a bit noisy.They usually let you know what's going on all the time and are very reassuring.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. While undergoing MRI you cannot be accompanied by a person. Your technician will sit outside with head phones connected to you so that you could alert them if anything goes wrong. You will be alone in the exam room during mri. The technologist gets to see, hear and speak with a two way intercom. A friend/relative could be allowed inside after being screened for safety in the magnetic environment. You will get ear plugs to reduce the noise of the MRI scanner. MRIscanners are air conditioned and well lit with music to pass time. Some discomfort due to intravenous needle on insertion and removal. No recovery period is required if you have not been sedated. Take care.

Hi ginnie. Is this your first MRI? If so,dont worry, thet are not that bad. I had quite a few done. Some tips;
If you are really nervous or claustrophobic, before you have the MRI, ask to be mildly sedated. Usually , 5mgs of Valium will do the trick.
This really does work to make you feel relaxed and not too drugged up.

All MRI s are different in there times. My shortest one was 12 mins, longest 45mins.
I had a switch  in my hand, so I could tell them to stop at any point if felt I couldn't do it.
Knowing that,made all the difference for me, and have managed all them so far.
Ask, before the test if you can have a look around, to see what it looks like, to be a bit more familiar with the machine.
You cant, if you do, wear your glasses inside.

I keep my eyes closed during the test and count my collection of Cd's! Then, I put them into alphabetical order.Best of luck with it. Cath278