Neurology Community
MRI Results for the Lumbar Spine

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI Results for the Lumbar Spine

Hello All.  I received my MRI results of the Lumbar Spine and wanted to get an opinion before going to the Neurologist.  
I currently experience tightness and pain in my mid and lower back.  I also have tightness and pain in around the neck and shoulders.  
In the past couple of months I have occassionally felt a stinging/burning sensation on my right hip. This has happened about 4-5 times in the past two months.  Usually occures after standing up and only lasts about 5-10 minutes.  
when I sleep I wake up because my back is 'tight' and hurts. I even bought a new bed because I thought it was the mattress, with no relief.
Also in the past month or so I have noticed that my legs and arms seem to fall asleep faster than they used to when sitting or having my arms crosed.  
In June of 2005 my back locked up.
I am a 40 YO male, weigh 265lbs. I have been losing weight. My heaviest was 320lbs about 6 months ago. I am also diabetic.

The results of the MRI :
Finidings: No prior studies available. The lumbar spine is in anatomic alignment. Bone marrow signal is hypointense on T1-weighted scans. This can be due to a variety of factors, but may be due to patient habitus. The conus does not appear enlarged.  Paraspinous soft tissues are grossly normal and the visible aorta is nonenlarged. Counting is based on the assumption of five lumbar vertebrae.

T11-12: Normal, mild face disease.
T12-L1: Minimal Spondylosis
L1-2: Normal
L2-3: Normal
L3-4: Broad 3mm disk bulge and moderate spondylosis.  There is moderate facet disease and mild-to-moderate bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing, greater on the right. There is flattening of the thecal sac to 12mm.  There is also evidence of a left posterolateral annular tear

L4-5: Broad central 2mm protrusion with accompanying disk bulge. This flattens the thecal sac to 11mm. There is moderate facet disease and mild-to-moderate neuroforaminal narrowing.

L5-S1: Moderate Spondylosis with broad 3mm central protrusion, slightly greater on the left. There is mild neuroforaminal narrowing and mild-to-moderate facet disease.

Impression:
1. Multilevel degenerative spondylosis, described in detail above, greatest at L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
2. Broad central and slightly left paracentral protrusion at L5-S1, but this does not cause nerve root impingement or canal stenosis.
3. Broad shallow 3mm protrusion at L4-5
4. Moderate Spondylosis and broad disk bulge at L3-4
5. Multilevel facet anthropathy.