Neurology Community
MRI Results
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

MRI Results

I have an appointment with my doctor in the near future. Before I see him I would like someone to help me understand the results of two recent MRI's; Thoracic Spine w/o contrast and Lumbar Spine w/o contrast -  I have pain in my lower back and at time down my legs. At times I can also have pain in my chest that feels like I'm having a heart attack.  I travel most every week on planes for business reasons.  I've done this for close to 20 years.  If I should continue to travel will this cause my back to become worse.  

Whatever is wrong with my back causes a lot of pain. Should it? Or, do I just have a low tolerence to pain?  I haven't missed any work in years due to the condition of my back.  However, the pain seems to be getting worse.  Maybe it's just because I'm older (58)?

THORACIC:

FINDINGS: There is a mild dextroscoliosis centered near T8.  There is chronic 20% anterior wedging of T8. There is straightening from T4 through T7. Disc degeneration is mild to moderate at T8-9 through T10-11 with narrowing, endplate irregularity and prevertebral spondylosis.  Disc degeneration is mild with prevertebral spondylosis at T6-7 and T7-8. Additional mild degenerative changes are present diffusely. No significant focal vertebral marrow pathology is seen.

T6-7 demonstrates a mild eccentric disc bulge to the left.  No spinal cord flattening or centeral stenosis.  No foraminal stenoisi.
T7-8 demonstrates a mild broad disc bulge. No spinal cord flattening or central stenosis. No foraminalo stenosis.
T8-9 demonstrates a moderate disc protrusion to the left with mild to moderate spinal cord flattening without central stenosis.  Foraminal stenosis is not significant.
T9-10 demonstrates a mild to moderate broad disc bulge.  A small component of extrusion extends slightly below the T10 superior endplate near the midline.  This abuts but does not appear to flatten the spinal cord.  No central canal stenosis.  Foraminal stenosis appears mild on the right.
T10-11 demonstrates a small left paramedian disc protrusion without spinal cord flattening or central stenosis.  No foraminal stenosis.
T11-12 demonstrates a mild broad disc bulge with asymmetry to the right.  There is mild hypertrophic facet degenerative joint disease on the left.  No central canal stenosis or foraminal narrowing.
The remaining thoracic discs do not show evidence of significant bulge, protrusion or extrusion.
The thoracic cord has a smooth contour and is without focal atrophy, edema or myelomalacia. No mass.

IMPRESSION:
1.  Mild dextroscoliosis centered near T8.  Chronis 20% anterior wedging of T8.  Disc degeneration is mild to moderate at T8-9 throught T10-11.
2.  T8-9 mild to moderate spinal cord flattening to the left without stenosis.
3.  T9-10 disc bulge and small central extrusion abutting without flattening the spinal cord. Mild right foraminal stenosis.

LUMBAR SPINE:

FINDINGS:  There is miold exaggeration of the lumbosacral lordotic curve from L4 through S1.  THere is a mild dextroscoliosis centered near L3.  Vertebral heights appear generally preserved.  There is mild to moderate degenerative disc disease and prevertebral spondylosis from T12-L1 through L3-L4.  Disc degeneration is mild at Lr-L5 and L5-S1.  Small Schmorl's nodes are present at T11-T12.  

There is mild reactive marrow edema adjacent to the endplates posteriorly at L2-L3.

T12-L1 demonstrates a mild foraminal disc protrusion to the right.  Foraminal stenosis is mild on the right.  No central canal stenosis.
L1-L2 demonstrates a mild broad disc bulge.  No hypertrophic facet DJD or central canal stenosis.  Foraminal stenosis is not significant.  
L2-L3 demonstrates a mild to moderate broad disc bulge with asymmetry into the left neural foramen.  Facet DJD is mild bilaterally, greater on the left.  Foraminal stenosis is mild to moderate on the left and mild on the right.  There is mild to moderate left lateral recess stenosis near the left L3 nerve root.  No central cnal stenosis.
L3-L4 demonstrates a mild to moderate broad disc bulge.  There is a small central disc protrusion with a peripheral annular tear.  Facet DJD is mild bilaterally.  Foraminal stenosis is mild on the left.  There is mild left lateral recess stenosis near the left L4 nerve root.  No central canal stenosis.
L4-L5 demonstrates a mild to moderate disc bulge.  Facet DJD is mild on the left and mild to moderate right.  Foraminal stenosis is mild on the left and mild to moderate on the right.  THere is mild lateral recess stenosis bilaterally near the L5 near roots.  No central canal stenosis.
L5-S1 demonstrates a mild broad disc bulge with a central peripheral annular tear.  Facet DJD is mild bilaterally.  No central canal stenosis or foraminal narrowing.

IMPRESSION:
1.  Mild lordotic exaggeration from L4 through S1; mild dextroscoliosis centered near L3; mild to moderate degeneraive disc disease and prevertebral spondylosis from T12-L1 through L3-L4, all stable.  mild reactive marrow edema posteriorly at L2-L3.
2.  T12-L1 mild right foraminal stenosis.
3l L2-L3 mild to moderate left lateral recess stenosis near the left L3 nerve root as well as mild to moderate left and mild right foraminal stenosis.
4.  L3-L4 mild left lateral recess senosis near the left L4 nerve root and mild left foraminal stenosis.
5. L4-L5 mild left lateral recess stenosis bilaterally near the L5 nerve roots as well as mild left and mild to moderate right foraminal stenosis.