Neurology Expert Forum
MRI Results

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI Results

I have a couple questions about my MRI:

MRI of Cerivical Spine without Gadolinium:

MR is performed in the sagittal plane with T1 weighted images, T2 weighted images and inversion recovery images, in the axial plane with gradient images.

Bone signal is normal.  Bone alignment is normal. The cervical lordosis is normal.

There is no central or foraminal stenosis.  The cord is normal.

Disk heights are normal.  Disk signal is uniformly decreased.

Disk shape is normal.  There is no pathologic bulging disk, herniated disk, dural sac deformity, cord compromise, or nerve root compression.

IMPRESSION:

THERE IS A DIFFUSE DESICCATION OF ALL THE CERVICAL DISKS.

THERE IS NO PATHOLOGIC BULGING DISK OR HERNIATED DISK, CORD COMPROMISE, OR NERVE ROOT COMPRESSION.

I have 2 questions:

1.  What does "Disk signal is uniformly decreased" mean??

2.  What does "There is a diffuse desiccation of all the cervical disks mean"??

Thanx for this wonderful forum and thanks for your help..

Billy
***@****
The decreased signal appearance on the MRI is caused by 'dessication (desiccation)' of the disc
This means that there is a loss of water content within the discs, which is usually normal as people get older

The loss of water shows up as a loss of signal (or a darker area) on the MRI scan
It can be a very early sign of disc degeneration, a slow process where the disc gets wear and tear over time

PW
Thanx alot Doc,  I guess I should have asked, is this a Normal MRI????

Billy
Hi I have been having really bad weakness and pain in my arms and legs when I walk i feel like im going to fall ,I am having trouble folding clothes, my arms feel so heavy and they start to hurt I also have pain in my finger tips where it hurts to touch anything I had an MRI , for my neck   I was having neck pain and lower back the MRI said I have degenerative disk disease throughout the cervical spine at c4-5 there is mild diffuse posterior bulging of the disk at c5-6 it shows moderate size neural foraminal disk protrusion at c6-7 disk protrusion without canal stenosis
at c7-t1 shows large paracentral neural foraminal disk protrusion it also says multilevel disease and the fact that abnormality can only be seen on the axial can this be causing my trouble or could it be something else
A related discussion, spine was started.