Neurology Expert Forum
MRI T2 & T2 FLAIR images

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI T2 & T2 FLAIR images

I was in a severe auto accident with a head injury.  What does "very small focus of subtle increased Tw signal involving right anteriior supraventricular frontal white matter identified on the T2 and T2 FLAIR images" mean?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Without the ability to examine you, obtain a history from you, and review the images, I can not give you much of a differential. I can tell you that lesions bright on T2 and darker on T1 can be from edema, tumor, infarct, inflammation, infection, or hemorrhage. Knowing just the T2 images is not too helpful. It could represent something called "chronic small vessel disease", literally meaning diseased small vessels that supply blood flow to the brain. This is not an uncommon process in the brain and increases with age. This is not a disease in and of itself but rather is a reflection of unhealthy blood vessels, damaged by years of plaque build-up. This is most often due to a combination of several factors including the following: high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, and high cholesterol. If these factors are well controlled, the damage to the brain can be stabilized and further damage prevented.

I suggest you discuss with the ordering physician what the MRI results mean, especially in the setting of your history.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.