Neurology Expert Forum
MRI accuracy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI accuracy

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Can you please explain how accurate MRI scans in dx early MS. I am aware that abnormal MRIs are present with app. 90% of patients w/ deffinant MS. However,what is the percentage of patients that have only one symptom or only mild symptoms and have a normal MRI and later are dx w/ MS.
It greatly depends on the type of symptoms that's experienced and where you image. But the most literature is on the pts who have optic neuritis which is an inflammatory condition of the nerve to the eye. The number most quoted is 16% of patients who have this eye condition (manifested as blurred vision, eye pain, decreased acuity)who have a normal MRI of the brain will go on to have clinically definite MS in 5 years. Although you can't extrapolate this to other neuro symptoms, I would venture to say that there is still a significant percentage of patients (probably less than the 16%) who have normal MRIs that go on to develop MRI. On the other hand, 50% patients who have optic neuritis that have an ABnormal MRI will go on to have MS. Hope this helps.