Neurology Community
MRI almost normal - teardrop image

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI almost normal - teardrop image

I have UCTD. My Rheum. sent me to a Neur. re: neuropathy (top of foot), head burns and all over body muscle spasms who ordered an MRI of L5, C-Spine and Head. Not sure if problem is neurological or autoimmune. Lots of bad stuff ruled out which is good. The MRI noted a tear drop shape on head MRI which he attributed to migraines. Sounds okay except I don't have migraines. Any idea what else it could be? Should I be worried? Go in for and EMG next week. A little scared it'll hurt. Wonder if it is necessary since MRI's came back almost okay. Radiologist seemed to make light of the tear drop spot in his report.
Hi Jlisa,
How are you feeling now?
By saying that you have UCTD, means you had symptoms suggestive of connective tissue disorder like rash, dry eye, salivary gland issue among other symptoms. You also had positive ANA test and your symptoms are persisting fir more than 3 years.
Any cranial nerve palsy, peripheral motor neuropathy, sensory neuropathy, entrapment neuropathy, psychosis, or personality change could be a part of auto-immune process in UCTD.
I am not sure where this tear drop spot is present on brain; I mean which region is present.
Can you type the actual report of MRI?
I have either UCTD or mild Lupus depending on the physician. I have had positive ANA for over 10 years, rash / sun sensitivity, stiffness and joint pain, dry eyes and ongoing low grade fevers. Recently, I am experiencing numbness in my foot and down the right side of my left leg. When I wake up in the morning I cannot always feel my legs right away but the sensation comes back once I get moving. I was tested for diabetes and those tests were normal. I did a sweat test which came back in the low normal range. The tear drop was on the right side of my head a little above my ear and towards the back. I don't have the report myself but I had someone I know listen to the dictation for me. I imagine when I go back to see my doctor next week he'll go over it in more depth. I am 41 and, believe it or not, in otherwise good health. Just this problem.
Oh, I am feeling okay. I am used to the UCTD/ mild Lupus symptoms. I push past it. I'm active. Plaquinel helps. I take Naproxen and that helps, too. I am also on vitamins as they seem to bottom out (D, B6 and calcium) when I stop taking them. The P & the N also keeps the fevers at bay. No complaints.
Not to change the subject but how important or unimportant is my ethnicity / genetics in dealing with this or any undiagnosed medical problem? In all the years I have seen physicians for this and other routine things no one has ever asked me about my ethnicity and yet genetics have come a long way. I have never volunteered this information either.  I am asking this more for my children then myself. Both my husband and I are from Ashkenazi Jewish descent. We live in a rural area where physicians wouldn't necessarily expect that.
Hi Jlisa,
It is nice and appreciative to volunteering information, as it might help in reaching the diagnosis and see if genetic cause exists.
Well I would look into this about your ethnicity of being Ashkenazi descent.
I would get back to you if I get certain information on this.
Bye.