Neurology Community
MRI: cerebral white matter and paranasal thickening

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had two months of persistent headaches (more acute when I move my head, and all the pain localized to my left temple); intermittent dizziness; daily ringing/roaring in my ears.  

I had a MRI w/ and w/o contract, and with my doc on his day off I do not entirely understand the results.  I'm clear that there is no mass/tumor, but unclear about the white matter... can anyone help elucidate?  For context, I'm 45years old, male, a thyroid (papillary cancer) survivor, and extremely healthy/fit... and I've had no prior history of headaches or tinnitus or dizziness.  The MRI says:

"There is mild amorphous and hazy deep and periventricular cerebral white matter T2 hyperintensity in the posterior cerebral hemispheres bilaterally, mainly parietal and occipital lobes.  There is also a small indistinct focus of peripheral white matter T2 hyperintensity measuring about 6mm across in the right parietal lobe.  

No enhancing or space-occupying intracranial mass.

Unremarkable findings in the regions of the internal auditory canals and pituitary fossa.  Normal enhancement of the major dural venous sinuses.  

Mild potentially chronic multifocal paranasal sinus mucosal thickening, ethmoid and maxillary sinuses are most notably involved.  No acute mastoid fluid collections.  The major arterial skull base flow voids are present."

There is a ton of stuff online about white cerebral matter, but I do not have MS or Lupus or Lyme's disease symptoms; I have very healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels; and etc...

I'm supposed to be referred to a neurologist... but what to make of things based on this report?  Thanks!  
Hi there!

The report is generally described normal except for a few white matter hyperintensities in the periventricular and parietal/ occipital regions; which could occur due to a few causes such as cerebral ischemia/ strokes, dementia, demyelinating conditions, gliosis etc. I would suggest discussing the situation in detail with the radiologist and the treating neurologist for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for the response.  I hope to see a neurologist this week as the MRI was initiated by my GP and he admittedly does not know what to make of the hypeintensities. It sounds like the white matter findings in the MRI could be entirely unrelated to my current symptoms... or perhaps not.