MRI demylination frontal lobe
I had a CT scan in ER R/T symptoms of tingling, twitching in nose, lips and scalp on RT side, I have had change in headaches over last few months, get woken up with headaches, and never completely get rid of headaches, I was previously DX with fibromyalgia, due to continual flu like symptoms with extreme body aches and fatigue, which was better with recent pregnancy, delivered 11/06, however it has since been back full force and accompanied by headaches they often feel like my brain is internally being pulled away from the skull.  The CT scan showed possible mass or infiltrate on left frontal lobe region, I was sent for MRI with spectroscopy, and I received phone call from PA today the spec. was WNL, however the same area as CT scan showed demylination of my brain and was reccomended by radiologist I have lumbar puncture, because this is out of scope of FP they are referring me to neurologist, I have not read the report, from my understanding it was not characteristic of MS.  What would be characteristic of MS?  What will a lumbar puncture show?  What other diseases cause demylination of brain cells?  Are there any specifics the MRI may show that would further clue them into diagnosis?  I don't really know what questions to ask, I just really want to know what is causing the demylination and get treatment, is there anything that will stop the demylination once it has begun?  I am a mother of 4 little girls, and work as an RN in labor and delivery I am our only income, I am just very afraid and want to know as much as possible to guide my questions and treatment.  I live in a rural area.  Thanks so much for your precious time,
Crystal
Hi.

The MRI shows areas of demyelination as bright spots. Many of the lesions are periventricular in location. The MRI of  the spine will also help to see if there is spinal involvement. Some other causes of the demyelination are idiopathic demyelinating disease, transverse myelitis and progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy.

The demyelination process can be controlled with certain medicines.

The Lumbar puncture will show the CSF as having Oligoclonal Bands, found in almost 90% of MS cases.But they are also seen in other diseases.

Regards

DrAbhijeetMD