MRI dye - gadolinium
We have three cases of autism in my husband's family and so I am very careful.  I am nursing a son (over 1 year of age) and need an MRI (not an emergency).  My dr only wants it with the gadolinium dye.  Even with not nursing for 2 days, I am nervous about the metal.  I am also nervous b/c the co can't tell me if it leaves the body in 24 hrs or the blood in 24 hrs b/c if it only leaves the blood in 24 hrs, can't it get into my tissue?  I am also concerned about any future pregnancies?
Hi.

There has been no direct human evidence that this contrast material is related to serious birth defects or anomalies, but prudently, this test is still avoided during pregnancy.  In your situation, I believe there is nothing serious to worry about as this dye is excreted in a day or two.  There are also no evidence of any serious harmful effects on the body (like accumulation of the dye).

If you have a lot of reservations about the test (or any test for that matter), then I suggest that in the future, you discuss these concerns with your doctors before undergoing them.

Regards.