Neurology Community
MRI for migraines and vertigo

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI for migraines and vertigo

Hello, my name is Vanessa Im 25 and I had a MRI done on 03/09/2010.  I had been fighting a really bad cold upper respiratory infection off and on for 5 weeks and on 3 rounds of antibiotics, 1 course of predinsone, inhalers PRN and nebulizer treatments every 4 hours.  I have asthma so all of this triggered that to flare.  Lately I have been having migraines (true migraines) blurred vision, nausea and vomitting, light sensitivity, and pounding headaches. This week alone I have had 4!  The headache has never gone away for 2 weeks now and I cant take it anymore!!!  since Sunday my balance is off and I feel very dizzy.  Almost as if Im floating.  So my doctor sent me for a MRI.  I work for a home health care agency and some of the nurses read the report and said I need to have a Picc placed and put on IV antibiotics for sinusitis and mastoiditis and that the oral AB wont kick it.  Is that the case? here is what the report reads.

Findings:

There is no evidence of restricted diffusion to suggest an accute infarct of the presence of cytotoxic edema.  There is no significant midline shift, mass-effect, or focal abnormal extra-axial fluid collection.  The ventricles, sulci and cisterns are within normal limits in size configuration.  There is no nodular enhancements of the parenchyma or leptomeninges.  There is no significant signal abnormality of the parenchyma.

There is preservation of the major intracranial flow voids at the skull base.  The mastoid air cells are aerated.  Decreased signal of the marrow of the clivus can be within normal limits for the pts age (25).  There is a slightly convex margin of the superior pituitary gland although the overall size is within normal limits.  The cerebellar tonsils are normal in location.  There is no significant abnormality of the pineal gland.  There is small likely mucous retention cyst anteriorly in the right micillary sinus.  There is neglible patchy ethmoid air cell mucosal thickening.  There are a few small nodes in the superior bilateral neck.  

Impression:
1. There is no significant intracranial abnormality    
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Your reports suggest that you do not have any brain pathology. However, one sided headache & orbital pain (eye pain) with numbness symptoms could be suggestive of migraine. The mainstay of the migraine treatment is always to identify the triggering factors and to avoid them. Triggering factors could be different foods such as cheese, chocolate, alcohol and even few fruits. Other factors that may induce your migraine attack may be contraceptive pills, stress or depression, bright lights, loud noise and traveling. Few women experience headache more commonly during the time of their menstrual periods & at the time of hormonal imbalance. I would suggest careful record of events that have proceeded with the attack and avoid those factors. In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet and avoid taking unnecessary drugs. Even then if you suffer continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your migraine attacks and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!