MRI for syrinx
I renetly had MRI to monitor a syrinx  The radiologist stated that the syrinx did not change in size from the previous MRI. The Neurosurgeon argues that the syrinx disappeared and does not show up on the films at all. Meanwhile I am suffering from new symptoms. Is the reading of an MRI an opinion of the one looking at it or is it clear cut. ...Is the syrinx there or not?
Hi...did they also do a MRI of ur brain to check for chiari ?

And is the dr a specialist in syringomyelia( syrinx) and chiari...if not u may want to get the opinion of a dr that specializes in this field.

"selma"
Yes in 2006 the MRi showed the chiari and the syrinx. The neurosurgeon who disagreed with the radiologist report "claims" he does specialize in chiari. But...I did some research and I found that he is a surgeon only 5 yrs and before he came to florida he operated on the wrong side of a boys brain when he was doing surgery for epilepsy.
I called another neurosurgeons office for a 2nd opinion and he won't see me unless I have a CAT scan becasue he said according to the reports that I faxed over, I need surgery and he can't do surgery without the CAT scan..... BUT I want him to look at the films and not just the reports before he comes to a conclusion that I need surgery!
His nurse said that he is a surgeon and he only sees patients that need surgery,
This is enough to give a person a headache if they dont already have one from the syrinx!!!!!
Usually the Syrinx is well defined in the MRI . If you have new symptoms , the Syrinx may still be there . The best option would be to take a second opinion of another neurologist because online guidance without seeing both the MRI films is not possible . Please consult another neurologist . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !

.

I did see the syrinx in the MRI films when it was pointed out to me in 2006. I did not see it in the new MRI film when the neurosurgeon reviewed with me. I received a call from the radiologist and he insists that the syrinx is still there. Can they go away on their own?
Also...the surgeon I contacted for a 2nd opinion refuses to see me unless I have a CT scan. I did not want another CT scan becase of the amount of radiation exposure as I just had one of the brain . I guess I will have to find another neurosorgeon for that opinion.
What I really want is to find a radiologist or Dr just to look at the latest MRI.
Thank you for your comments.
Hi...  I've been worked up for a frozen shoulder... Had a shoulder MRI that just showed tendonitis.  Went back to Ortho and he did neck x-rays and then a C-spine MRI.  C-spine shows degenerative disc disease and loss of normal curve, etc.  Had to go back for another view of MRI at C6-7 in the closed scanner.  Radiologist told me its not a lesion just a syrinx.  So now.. I don't know what to think.  I have neck pain, shoulder and arm pain and right hand and arm weakness.  The radiologist did not act like it was a big deal.  So now do I wait until the orthopedist calls me back and decide to where to go from here?  All the reading I've been doing on syrinx indicates surgery!  Thanks for any advice.
Hi...there r members that also have syringomyelia or a syrinx  on the Chiari forum here on MedHep....I am a chiarian, but do not have a syrinx at this time so I can not speak from experience as one of the other members can.I do know most times it is a congenital condition and drs feel it is asymptomatic as with chiari.

However u can also acquire a syrinx from an injury or trauma......it all depends on whether or not the syrinx is large enuff to block CSF flow or is pressing against ur spinal cord.

A specialist in this field is needed, not just a typical NS.

Good Luck...I hope u stop by the chiari forum to chat with the members with a syrinx.

"selma"
Hi I agree with selma, from my experence as a patient with a Syrinx you need a Neurosurgeon with experiences of dealing with a syrinx....because some Doctors see a Syrinx as a congenital  chronic condition they feel it is not urgent.....there are close links between Chiari malformation and Syringomyelia
I have a syrinx in my spinal cord at the Cervical/thoracic junction. I have neck and shoulder pain, pain and loss of feeling in my back, across my shoulders and down my back bone.....loss of feeling in both hands....

As selma mentioned there is a Chiari/Syringomyelia forum here on MedHelp where you will get info and support from people with this condition
The problem was with the MRI itself. I had the facility do it over and the syrinx was clear on the film. I believe I figured out the problem...the MRI tech forgot to have me remove my necklace for the 1st MRI and everything came out cloudy.
The syrinx is there, inchanged for 2003 and 2006. Even though it is takes up almost the entire lenght of the spinal cord (cervical -thorasic) the NS's (all Chiari specialists) agree that ti si NOT causing any of my symptoms and it is too small for surgery.
Hi...by too small they r referring to the width as the surgeons do not have shunts or stints small enuff  to insert and be able to drain the excess fluid off.

I do not know if this makes sense  or if it seems like ramblings.......

Not knowing who ur drs were, and since u said u saw or were seen by a chiari specialist....I am sure u got the correct info...syrinx's are not always large enuff to surgically have intervention.....but, that does not mean u do not have symptoms from it.

I wish I could say something more to help u feel better.

All my best for a Happy New Year !

"selma"
I understand that a thin syrinx can not be operated on and I am GLAD that I do not need surgery! What is so frustrating is that I can't get a diagnosis for ANY of my symptoms, the headaches that start at the back of the skull, the pain that goes across my shoulders, the constant ringing in my ears, pressure in my head when bending, tingling sensations in my extremeties.... When these DR's say the headaches are due to tension and the bodyaches are due to stress I just want to SCREAM. I "gave in" and tried an anti anxiety medication....it didn't do a thing.
Thank you for your support and I wish you a happy and very healthy New Year...hope 2010 will be a  nice PAIN FREE year for us all!

I totally understand ur frustration.Do u know if u have bulging disks or stinosis?....tethered cord?There r sooo many conditions that can cause similar symptoms...and sounds like ur drs r not the right ones that understand this condition.

Have u ruled out chiari also?

"selma"
One Dr said the chiari is considered a chiari zero. Another NS said there was enough room for the fluid to flow so not to worry about a Chiari. Yes I do have a couple of buldging discs but was told they are not the cause of my complaints either!
The NS that I saw are considered to be Chiari Specialtists in my area.
can anyone tell mewhat the operation is like for the shunt in my syrinx. who long well it take to get back to work, and will it come back.
I am 57 female.  MRI shows LARGE (47mm by 90mm) syrinx from c5 to t2.  I have numerous neurological symptoms but nothing that has completely changed my life.  Johns Hopkins dr wants to drain with a peritoneal shunt.  Everything I have read leads me to want to avoid a shunt.  Is there anyone in the community that has a successful shunt for a long time that has NOT required multiple surgeries.  I am really scared.
Shaking in San Antonio
My Dr.,neurosurgeon says my 7mm syrinx is too small to be he cause of my back pain and numbness in my hands. From all I am reading I am not so sure. Can anyone suggest anything?

Hi ...I invite u  to the Chiari forum where others with syringomyelia r members...some also have Chiari and the Chiari Drs treat both.....so I wondered is ur syrinx from an injury or do u also have Chiari?

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?controller=forums&action=show&id=257&camp=msc
Hi ,  I have been recently been diagnosised with having a syrinx and fluid in the sine neck area. I have the same symptoms as you do .I have tingling in my fingers and numbness . What can we do about this ? I don't even understand what a syrinx is ? Do you know what it is? Please let me Know . Thanks Shelley1505           ***@****

Hi a syrinx is a cyst like sac that fills with CSF fluid as it grows it puts pressure on the nerves...depending where it is located will determine which nerves are affected...many r located in the cervical spine....this can be a result of an obstruction to the CSF or can be the result of an injury....

U need to know what caused ur syrinx, or syringomyelia...the name of the condition  of having a syrinx.

Many times the syrinx is too small to use a shunt or a stent to move the fluid beyond the point it is collecting.....

There r many in the Chiari forum that can share info with u, as this is a related condition to Chiari Malformation, http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?controller=forums&action=show&id=257&camp=msc