Neurology Community
MRI result question / scattered foci

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI result question / scattered foci

Hello, I recently had Multiplanar and multisequence image MRI and the report said the following:

There is no evidence of intracranial mass, mass effect, or shift. There is no extracerebral fluid collection. The ventricles are midline. There are a few scattered foci of increased T2 and FLAIR signal intensity within white matter bilaterally particularly in the frontal lobes. The findings are nonspecific but are most consistent with areas of ischemia of undetermined age but most likely chronic. There is no evidence of diffusion restriction to suggest an acute process. There is flow void within the cavernous carotid arteries bilaterally. Cerebellar tonsils are lower limits of normal in position at the level of the foramen magnum. The orbits, sella, and ICs are grossly unremarkable.

I have an appointment with a neurologist, but in the meantime, I would like to know what the following could indicate:

There are a few scattered foci of increased T2 and FLAIR signal intensity within white matter bilaterally particularly in the frontal lobes.

The ENT doctor I went to said that the MRI indicates that I have been 'up and down' with problems. What in the report indicates that?

Thank you
Hi...the statement  [ Cerebellar tonsils are lower limits of normal in position at the level of the foramen magnum] caught my attention.....this could be an indication of a chiari malformation.....

It all depends on if it is causing a CSF blockage and [There is flow void within the cavernous carotid arteries bilaterally.]is the next thing that caught my attention.

U may want to have these explained also.

We do have a chiari forum here on MedHelp and I invite u to stop by read some threads and our Health Pages.

"selma"