MRI results for toddler
Hi im hoping i can get some help with this answer. My 21 month old boy has hypotonia and is delayed in other parts as well. Docs have continued to tell us it is a mild delay. he is standing on furniture and able to take 8 -10 steps on his own. We have a series of metabolic and genetic tests that we are awaiting results from. We just got his MRI done. this is what it showed. "Non Specific abnormal white matter T2 hyperintensities in bilateral perventricular region and multifocal subcortial white matter associated with Ventriculomegaly. Etiology is not known. Fourth and third ventricles are slighlty enlargened. lateral Ventricles are symmetrically enlargened.

"No abnormal signals are seen in the basal gangia, No cortical malformation or tissue loss shown, the Grey Matter signal intensities are normal, Basal Gangia, Chiasm, Cerebellum, Brainstem and Pituitary are normal"

No extra - axial fluid collection or abnormaily seen, Spectrosopy shows normal metabolite peaks"

My question is what does this mean for my little guy?? so confused and anxious...is this a marker for future issues he will face? how bad is this MRI results??? thanks so much
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The report states that there are areas in the brain that show altered signals, which could be due to small vessel ischemic changes, demyelinating disease and inflammatory processes. In Small vessel disease the lumen of the small blood vessels is narrowed causing a decrease in flow. Demyelination is the term used for a loss of myelin, a substance in the white matter that insulates nerve endings. Inflammatory changes could indicate swelling. These changes could occur due to disorders like multiple sclerosis or tuberculosis. Only further investigations can help diagnose the cause.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.