Neurology Expert Forum
MRI results

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI results

Latest MRI report findings: large left paracentral disc herniation with cephalad extrusion at the T-11-T-12 level with central canal stenosis and associated ventral cord compression - how serious is this - I have had numb hands and numb chest wall for 5 months - getting scared - I'm a 72 year old male in good health otherwise
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I do not have your MRI spine available for personal review ofcourse but based on this imaging report it appears that degenerative disease of your spine has caused a vertebral disc to herniated and press on the spinal cord. It hasn’t commented on actual damage (myelomalacia) to your cord though. At the level of T11 to T12, it is likely not contributing to your numb hands however it may be contributing to your numb chest wall.

In any case, I would certainly recommend being evaluated by a spine surgeon, either an orthopedic or neurosurgeon. They will best be able to tell you whether you need any surgical intervention or just conservative treatments for this.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.