MRI results
Hi I received my MRI scan results and the specialist scared the life out of me. No treatment at the moment as my symptoms have improved slightly. I am to manage my symptoms but if they worsen I would have to call emergency services and require surgery.
The MRI report apparently does not explain how huge the prolapsed disc is,
There is diffuse disc bulge noted at L4-L5 level with a large posterior central component causing anterior identation of the thesal sac and compromise of the L5 traversing nerve roots bilaterally, the left lateral component of the disc bilge is abutting the left L4 exiting nerve root.
There is a left foraminal disc bulge noted at L5-S1 nerve roots.
Thank you

Hi!
Well, actually your doctor is right. A disc bulge appears to be scary. However, most disc bulges go back to original place and the symptoms disappear with conservative treatment. Central, posterior or para-central disc protrusions that irritate a spinal nerve or have the potential to do so, as in your case, can be treated conservatively. This conservative treatment involves pain killers, anti-inflammatory medications, epidural injections, steroid injections, corsets and braces and physiotherapy. If all such treatments fail, then surgery may be required. Do discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
I've been symptomatic for about 9 months, luckily symptoms have reduced recently. Physiotherapy made it worse and analgesia didnt control the spasms. I was planned to have an epidural /steroid injection on Friday but my specialist said it would not help and may make it worse.
I have been discharged from any follow up as it appears that the next step would be surgery if deteriorates.
I'm a very active person gym, body boarding, cycling and now very apprehensive about what I can or cant do and how safe i have to play it.
Thank you for your reply