Neurology Community
MRI results

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI results

I had an Anterior Cervical Discetomy at C5-C6 in 2002.  Recently starting having neck and back pain, my MRI shows mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis and osteophyte at C6.  What does this mean and am I going to have to go through surgery to get the pain to go away?????
Hello.

The neck spine is normally curved to balance with the rest of the spine. This curve is convex forwards. You MRI suggests that the curve is now concave forwards. This is a reversal of normal cervical lordosis. An osteophyte is a bony outgrowth which can impinge on the nerves emerging out of the spinal cord.

You will have to consult the surgeon again.

Regards