Neurology Community
MS TREATMENT

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MS TREATMENT

Could someone please reply to my post on 4-28-07?  I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Carol
I'm not sure, but it's my understanding you have to be meet certain criteria to get an actual diagnosis for MS.(McDonald Criteria) Even though your Doc's say "probable" MS, I'm not sure that it warrants putting you on the any of the ABC drugs....
It's very expensive, and life-long injections. I think I would want every other differential diagnosis explored and omitted before starting treatment for MS.
There are lots of diseases and conditions with very similar symptoms.
It can take months or years to get true diagnosis......
Hang in there! I know it's frustrating not knowing for sure.
Good Luck!
I think it all boils down to insurance companies.....they don't want to dish out until they absolutely have to!
Plus, there may be ill side effects if it isn't MS, I just really don't know, but I know it doesn't help you much!
I know what you are going through, I am currently diagnosed as "Demylenation of the CNS, Unspecified".......if that isn't BS, I don't know what is!
Neuro wants me to start on Lamictal for tingling and numbness, but I am scared to death cause it's an anti-convulsive, anti-seizure medication......alters chemicals in the brain, has all sorts of side effects....... Not sure if I will take it or not.
I wish he would come to an absolute diagnosis before attempting to treat symptoms.
Thank you for your comment.  You're correct.  I am just so fed up with the wait that I would do anything.  What I really want to know is,  would it not be better to go ahead and try the meds. instead of sitting here getting worse?  Would they prevent me from getting worse if it is MS?
You can always try a med and if it doesn't work for you, don't take it anymore.