Neurology Expert Forum
MS? What do frontal lesions mean??

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MS? What do frontal lesions mean??

I recently had an MRI which showed 17 frontal lesions.  9 on the right 8 on the left.  For the last 6 months i have had numbess and tingling in my head, down my arms and right leg. When I hold something in my hands they tend to fall asleep fast.  I also have had constant GI pain with normal tests. Could the GI symptoms be an MS hug? I also have daily headaches and I have been unable to work for 7 months. One doctor suggested I get an MRI of my spine to check for lesions????  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are multiple causes for so called lesions or plaques in the brain. Most often, these are due to what is called "chronic small vessel disease", literally meaning diseased small vessels that supply blood flow to the brain. This is not an uncommon process in the brain and increases with age. This is not a disease in and of itself but rather is a reflection of unhealthy blood vessels, damaged by years of plaque build-up. This is most often due to a combination of several factors including the following: high blood pressure, diabetes, smoking, and high cholesterol. If these factors are well controlled, the damage to the brain can be stabilized and further damage prevented.

Other causes of plaques in the brain can be migraine. People with migraine often have plaques on their MRI that are of unclear cause or significance.

Other causes of plaques on MRI can usually be distinguished based on history and symptoms, such as symptoms of neurologic deficit (for example arm weakness or difficulty walking, etc). The neurological symptoms you are experiencing could be associated with the MRI findings. (However, sensory changes are usually more posterior rather than frontal, but I don’t have the luxury of viewing your MRI). Multiple sclerosis (i.e., M.S.) could be associated with MRI lesions. However, the diagnosis of M.S. is based on specific criteria, in which objective neurologic findings are present affecting 2 or more locations in the nervous system in 2 or more episodes. In order to make this diagnosis, a detailed history and neurologic examination is required. An MRI used in the diagnosis. Additionally, a lumbar puncture (or spinal tap) to study the CSF is helpful. If the diagnosis is still some doubt, there are other tests such as evoked potentials that can help.

M.S. can have many symptoms including GI. I suggest that you be evaluated by a neurologist. It would be helpful to have them look at your MRI findings in light of your history and examination. This will determine your diagnosis and treatment plan.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.