Neurology Expert Forum
MS vs. Brain Tumor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MS vs. Brain Tumor

I have been undergoing tests which have resulted in my doctor thinking either I have a brain tumor or had a stroke.  I have one lesion on my brain (MRI result), so he ruled out MS because there were not multiple lesions. In addition, I had lost 40% of my vision in both eyes, which is what prompted me to seek medical attention in the first place.  Since my MRI 4 months ago, I have regained my vision (loss lasted about 8 weeks) and have new symptoms - I keep falling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches.  I really think I have MS and the multiple lesions didn't show up in the MRI.  Does this sound like MS to you? How do I know if it is MS as opposed to a brain tumor? I seriously doubt it was a tumor.  I was to follow up with a nother MRI, but have since relocated and now must begin the diagnosis process in Columbus as opposed to Cleveland, where I was living at the time.  Can you offer any ideas here?
Very sorry to hear about your problem.  Having just one lesion on the MRI does not completely rule out the possibility of MS.  I've personally seen cases where there was one large tumor-like lesion in the brain that after biopsy turned out to be MS or MS- like.  Some experts think that although the lesion is demyelinating (destruction of the nerve sheath/covering - which is the pathology behind MS)it's not exactly MS and has a much better prognosis.  This means, it goes away in time with steroids and you don't have the downhill course you can get with MS.  However, I am concerned about your loss of vision.  You need to see an ophthalmalogist to have that formally examined to see if you had a condition called optic neuritis which is well associated with MS. ALso, as you're having new symptoms, I woulod recommend a repeat MRI with gadolinium (dye). There may be new lesions. There are some good neurologists at Ohio State University in Columbus.  Just bring the actual MRIs you had before so they can see it and compare with your new ones.

Because I have not personally reviewed your films nor examined you, I of course cannot rule out the possibility of tumor or stroke. But you do need to see a neurologist for a full exam and MRI.  It won't necessarily be starting over, because the diagnosis was never fully established. And it may be good for someone else to take a fresh look at your case. Best of luck to you.
1 Comment
A related discussion, I have MS, what is the likihood that I have a tumor? was started.