Neurology Community
MTHFR Mutation,stroke & cholesterol

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MTHFR Mutation,stroke & cholesterol

At the age of 7 my daughter had a stroke yet she had been healthy beforehand. A couple of years later she was diagnosed as having the MTHFR enzyme mutation. Recently my other daughter and I were also diagnosed with the mutation. We all have been instructed to take aspirin and folic acid on a daily basis. My question is this, is there any research connecting this with cholesterol levels? I have to take cholesterol meds now at 36 and my youngest daughter has high levels also and she is only 14. The daughter who had the stroke (who is now 17) has yet to have her levels checked but this kind of makes me wonder if there is any connection.

I don't know what the connection is but I think there is one.  I found out I had the MTHFR mutation (homozygous) when I donated some blood to a study on cholesterol.  Obviously the scientists were studying both at the same time, I figured there must have been a reason they did this.

By the way, I have never had any problems caused by the gene and I have low cholesterol.  Both my parents, however, have high cholesterol and are on statins to lower it.  My mother has widespread vascular disease.  She has been tested and her homocysteine was in normal limits.

Are you still taking the folic acid and asprin?  I asked a vascular medicine specialist whether I need to keep taking the tabs and he said that the research seems to show that taking the tabs and lowering the homocyteine DOESN'T decrease the risk associated with the gene. He did say, that it also doesn't hurt to take those tabs but it isn't necessary.

Thanks for writing in.
People with MTHFR mutation have been found to have an increased risk of stroke. However the exact correlation between MTHFR mutation and elevated cholesterol levels has not been worked out as yet.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/18934.php

Hope this helps!