Neurology Expert Forum
Mad Cows Disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Mad Cows Disease

Can you please explain the symptoms of Mad Cows Disease.

I have been having a lot of anxiety lately and a senses of unreality, does that mean I have Mad Cows Disease?

I have never been out of Canada where I live now.

I have never eaten a T-Bone Steak, or a brain of a cow.

Does that bring your chance of having Mad Cows Disease lower?

Thank you.
Mad Cow disease is one of the prion (special kind of protein) diseases like Creuzfeldt-Jakob disease that produces a rapidly progressive dementia (cognitive decline) with serious neurological signs and symptoms such as myoclonic jerking, seizures, vision loss, weakness, etc... culminating in death within a matter of months. Given the benign nature of your symptoms, it is extremely unlikely that they represent mad cow disease, epsecially if you have not eaten any beef from England (or from anywhere for that matter). Talk to your doctor about your symptoms and possibly a neuro referral just to make sure everything is ok. Sense of unreality could potentially represent a special kind of seizure called complex partial. And it can also represent manifestations of stress. GOod luck
the chance of having mad cow disease is very, very remote.  the sask man who died of vCJD recently lived and worked in Britain during the height of the beef issues and probably contracted it there.  There is little reason to think that Canadian food supply is at risk. vCJD (mad cow disease) is a brain-wasting disease, who's progress is fairly rapid, I believe, and the psychological changes come on quite quickly. I don't know the symptoms well, just that doctors seem to be able to 'suspect' vCJD quite easily based on patient presentation. I know they can't confirm the diagnosis until autopsy. I guess what I'm trying to say, it's far more dangerous to cross the street than eat a canadian hamburger; so maybe see your doctor for reassurance, but really, I hope you find peace of mind from this worry.
dont need a steak as there is now a very similar disease called chronic wasting disease found in wild game if you eat that...mainly in the deer family ....but has been found all over the us and canada
I am a 48 year old male,about a year ago I was told I had AMD in my right eye,now a year later i've just suffered a mild stroke which only affected my right arm.Could this be any connection?

Look forward to your reply

ian