Neurology Expert Forum
Many symptoms after 8 years of pinched nerve from pregnancy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have searched your site,and see nothing similar to my problem.
Over eight years ago, I had a pinched nerve on the side of my right thigh while I was preganant with my son.

Two years ago, I had uterus removed (endometriosis) and also a sling put under my bladder and rectocele repair.  I had bad prolapses and lost muscle tone after birth of my son (9 lb. 1 oz.)  They broke his collar bone to pull him out of me, he was so big.

Anyway, after my surgery I still have the problem of my bowel movements being stuck in my anus.  I have to remove it and use enemas frequently.  I do have bowel movements every day, but not all of it comes out.  Also, I still have to occasionally use a catheder because I can't urinate even though I have to go badly.  Sometimes I will wet (I mean soak) my pants because I don't have control over my bladder at times.

Part of the side of my right thigh is numb, has been for 8 years.  Sometimes it tingles and sometimes I also have pain in my left leg, sharp pains in hips and back pain and difficulty just walking through the grocery store.

I have been to chiroprator, physiotherapy and now I had an MRI which didn't show anything.  I am going to a neurologist July 18.  What else can they do?  Any ideas on what my problem is?
Dear Whisper:

I am so sorry that you are having such difficulties.  I am not sure I can explain the MRI findings, likely it should have shown at least the soft tissue damage, surgery, sling, and uterous removal.  I think I would get another person to read your MRI, also I would take a copy of the MRI to your visit with the neurologist in July.  It is not uncommon to have a pressure palsy during pregnancy and delivery.  I am not sure how much damage was due to the "pinched nerve" during the pregnancy and the impact of what might have happened at delivery.  A neuropathy can happen during the delivery process if it is traumatic (my guess is that this happened to you).  Since I do not know what was going on in the 6 years till the repair surgery, I can't tell you what damage had occurred over the 6 years previous to your surgery and the possible damage from your surgery.  It may be that some of your current problems are due to this latter surgery or at least compounding it.  It sounds like you have had nerve damage in the rectal area, bladder, and maybe some radicular (sacral spine nerve damage-but hard to say since your MRI was read as normal) nerve damage.  There may also be some sacral plexus damage-do you have numbness in the rectal and vaginal areas?  I am not sure what can be done, as I have not seen the films or done the exam.  After you give a good history (make sure you have the times when things began to happen, the duration of symptoms, how the symptoms have changed, what things have been tried, etc for the neurologist) and have a neurological examination, hopefully a plan of action can be thoughtout.  I am sorry that I cannot help more.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Well, I tried submitting a question in another area and said it was too full or something.  I have a pinched nerve under my left scapula since 1991, and was given med's, therapy and way too many cortizone shots over 5 yrs, resulting in more damage and scar tissue.  I am on disability for this injury and still do therapy now which doesn't help a lot.  The only way I can describe the pain is that I feel like I have a knife stuck in my back 24/7.. or an elastic band about to pop.  A Dr. (MD) has recently suggested that I take Tegratol to help with the pain.  I've tried every drug just about they make, to no avail, except hydrocodone, sometimes some soma and sometimes some diazepam, which seem to be the only thing that helps. I am very apprehensive of taking med's I haven't taken before, and everything I've read about Tegratol seems to be somewhat dangerouse and side affects to your liver.  It's also been said that I may have fibromyalgia.  My husband has seizures and takes Dilantin and Depakote both with terrible side affects, and used to take Tegratol, until it caused toxic poison in his liver.  Do you think this is a proper treatment with Tegratol for this type chronic pain? Thanks for any info you can give me.  Lynn
I have a question about nursing and the let down reflex, Has anybody out there ever got nausious just about before you let down and your milk comes in to feed baby? I have had 4 babies and it happend with all of them. I start to feel sick and remember oh yes it is time to feed. Right on schedule. I have been told nobody has ever heard of it. Well one Lactation consultant was courious and did some research and said it may be neurological. Let me know if this has happend to you I am courious.