Neurology Expert Forum
Maple Syrup Urine Disease in adults?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Maple Syrup Urine Disease in adults?
Posted By Pat on January 10, 1999 at 10:38:34:

Everything I have read about Maple Syrup Urine Disease refers to it as a
pediatric disease characterized by the unique odor of the urine.  Is it
possible for an adult to acquire the disease?    Is the odor also noticeable in perspiration?  
In the past few years, I have noticed that my perspiration, after exertion, has a faintly sweet odor. (Almost like pancakes!) I have changed soap, laundry detergent and discontinued wearing perfume.  The odor lingers on my skin (arms and torso) and stays on my clothes. Simultaneously, I have become more fatigued and mentally sluggish and forgetful.   I am in my mid-thirties.
Please tell me where I can find information regarding a sickly-sweet odor of perspiration.  Is there any reason to be concerned about this phenomenon?    I appreciate any information.  Pat.