Neurology Community
Mastoid disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Mastoid disease

Can someone please tell me what this is/ my young child had an MRI and now is being referred to an ENT doctor, but the doctor who ordered it did not really go into it.

Thanks for posting.
Mastoid disease basically refers to infection of the mastoid process which is known as mastoiditis. It will help to know exactly what symptoms your child has.
Main symptoms of this condition include ear pain and redness, swelling, pain and tenderness in the mastoid region.
This condition requires prompt treatment with antibiotics to prevent the infection from spreading.
Let us know if you have any other questions.

Hi again,

I forgot to ask you about something I read on my child's MRI report. It states that CSF is found to be consistent with an arachnoid cyst. Is this cyst something normal in the brain?  

Thanks for writing back.
Arachnoid cysts are CSF filled cysts surrounded by arachnoid cells in the brain. They are a congenital disorder. They are mostly asymptomatic although sometimes they can produce symptoms which are slow in onset like headache, seizures and raised intracranial pressure. The cause of these cysts is not known and treatment is mainly focused around management of symptoms due to raised intracranial pressure. However like mentioned before they are mostly asymptomatc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnoid_cyst

Hope this helps!

Hi There,

Thank you for logging on. I have just been a complete mess over this. I am very worried since he is already compromised by his Asperger encompassing all different areas of delay. These arachnois cyst are not present in people? Are they found in people with Autism Spectrum Disorders?  I will type in exactly what the report says.... Will you please interpret it?

FINDINGS: The scalp and calvarium are unremarkable in appearance. There is no skull base mass. Minor enlargement of adenoids (adenoids) is seen. No significant sinus disease is noted. However, moderately pronounced right mastoid air cell disease is seen. Intraorbital contents are normal. There is no intra or parasellar abnormality. The pituitary bright spot is seen. Cervicomedullary junction is normal.

The ventricles are normal in size and configuration. Slightly prominent extraaxial spaces can be seen. Over the right anterior middle fosssa more pronounced CSF density measuring up to 12 mm is consistent with a small arachnoid cyst. White and gray matter are well differentiated. There is no migration anomaly, focal parenchymal finding or mass effect. No evidence of heterotopia is seen. No  abnormal water restriction or contrast uptake is seen. The basal ganglia, midline and posterior fossa evaluation is unremarkable.There is no evidence arteriovenous malformation or aneurysm. Flow void is documented within arterial and dural venous structures.

IMPRESSIONS: Evidence of right mastoid disease.
Nosignificant intracranial abnormality is observed.

The report basically indicates that there is no evidence of brain tumors, sinus disease, and obstruction of CSF outflow, white matter disease, arteriovenous malformations or brain aneurysms.
The report indicates a small arachnoid cyst which is not producing any pressure effect or CSF outflow obstruction. The other positive finding is Mastoid disease which most likely is due to infection of the mastoid air cells.
Let us know if you have any further queries.