Neurology Community
Mastoiditis? Found on MRI.. serious?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Mastoiditis? Found on MRI.. serious?

Hi I recently had an MRI of my head.  My Doctor ordered it in May because of my increaseing neruro symptoms (vetigo, right side hand tremor, right leg drag, and my right eye strabisus returned- i had it operated on 4 years ago and it had been in perfect position, I've had vision problems for almost a year now, blurry vision and poor night vision)

Everything looked clear, but the radiologist noted mastoid infection in the right ear.  Last winter i had the "flu" several times and had my ear feeling cloged, then draining for months, finally after I demanded something and was given drops in March it seemed to clear up.  I developed severe vetigo in March. Mr Doctor does not feel this is really my issue but she is refereing me to an ear nose and throat doctor.  The thing is the wait is 4-6 weeks, and I'm concerned after what I've read about mastoid infections causing neuro problems.

anyone had this before? Of had this found on MRI?
Hi there.

Mastoiditis is caused by repeated ear and upper respiratory tract infections.  This should not pose much problems.  However, if you are having repeated ear infections, the mastoids should be drained through an operation.  It is true that chronic ear infections can sometimes lead to abscess formation that can extend to the brain, but the incidence of this is rather small.  Upon your consult with the ENT, discuss with him the pros and cons of having this just observed or operated.  REgards

Mastoiditis is infection of the mastoid process which is a part of skull bone behind the ear. Usually a CT scan is done for diagnosis as it easily detects the pus pocket in the bone. Mastoiditis can cause inflammation of the inner ear leading to vertigo.
Prompt medical attention is of great use. Any delay in treatment can cause the infection to spread, it can even go upto the brain. I suggest you to seek urgent consultation with an EN T specialist. Take care!

Hi I have a vertigo and my recent MRI says I have right sided Mastoiditis.Where can I seek consultation in ENT specialist or in Neuro specialist?If  you are a specialist in this kind of situation where can I find you or communicate with you with this problem?If it is possible.

Thank you.