Max Amount of Neurontin
I have been on neurontin, 3600mg per day for the past 3 years for the severe burning, stinging, and prickly nerve pain caused by Chiari 1.  In the past couple of months i have started having break through stinging and understand that with Chiari 1 eventually it can stop working and surgery would then be necessary.  I have heard that people are now being put on as much as 4800mg a day for this and similar conditions. Is this becoming a common practice or is this an unusual amount?   Also I have been told that pain medications such as oxycoden and narco can over long term use cause the similar stinging sensation is this correct?  Neurontin has worked well for me, I have not experienced any side effects except feeling tired but its worth it! I was started at 100mg then worked up to 2400mg, when this failed i was increased to 3600mg, hoping the 4800mg is safe as this is making my Chiari 1 manageable and delaying brain surgery!

This discussion is related to Neurontin, long term use.
Hello dear,
4800 mg of neurontin has good results but the incidene of side effects may increase.You should consult your neurologist before increasing the dose.
• The side effects of oxycodone include-shallow breathing, slow heartbeat;
• seizure (convulsions);
• cold, clammy skin;
• confusion;
• severe weakness or dizziness; or
• feeling light-headed, fainting.
Less serious side effects are more likely to occur, such as:
• nausea, vomiting, constipation, loss of appetite;
• dizziness, headache, tired feeling;
• dry mouth;
• sweating; or
• itching.

Best