Neurology Community
Meaning of Repeated Shingles Outbreaks?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Meaning of Repeated Shingles Outbreaks?

I am a 55-y-o female who had chicken pox when I was a child.  About 15 years ago, my grandson got chicken pox.  I got one chicken pox on my finger shortly after that (diagnosed by a doctor).  About four months ago, I fell down in the ice in a driveway.  Shortly after, I began to have intense pain on my right side.  It was so bad I had dreams that cats were biting me and clinging to me with their teeth.  I went to emergency and to my doctor a few days later, but neither would prescribe me any pain or any other medication.  The hospital diagnosed a strain of my side/back and my doctor agreed.  The day after I went to the doctor, I broke out in shingles in an arc extending from my navel to my mid-back.  This after leaving both medical facilities in tears due to unresolved pain and the feeling of being pooh-poohed.  Aclovir and gabapentin were prescribed.  For the past three weeks, I've been having very bad pain in the path of the peroneal nerve of the same right side.  The pain extends from around the knee cap down and around the path of that nerve. Tomorrow I will have a nerve conduction test.  Tonight, however, a lone lesion that looks just like my other shingles lesions appeared to the the right of my kneecap, which is where the pain has been generating.  I will keep my appointment with the neurologist, but I am 90% sure it is shingles.  Why?  Why now?  Why again and again?  My other conditions include NIDD, hypercholesterolemia, HBP, fibromyalgia, and some osteoarthritis.  I also have a slipped disk at L5.  Thanks for any help you can give.  This is driving me crazy and the pain is so unbearable! I worry that having this virus repeatedly reactivate in me means something more drastic.  But what?
How are you?
Yes you are right in thinking that the pain in your knee cap extending downwards is due to shingles.
Repeated shingles outbreaks are very rare occurring in less than 4 % people. It usually occurs in old people and in young people with a weak immune system. The prognosis of people with shingles is good as it is never a life threatening condition. It usually resolves within few weeks even after treatment.
However there is a risk of post herpetic neuralgia in elderly people.