Neurology Community
Medial or median nerve?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Medial or median nerve?

not sure which one is the proper name im not very knowledgeable but my athletic trainer told me. Im a baseball player in college and recently the trainers said i pinched a nerve underneath some bicep muscles that overlap the elbow. When i throw i feel pain where if you were looking at the palm of your right hand, right at the bottom of the wrist on the right side of the forearm right before you you get to the hand right about where the tendons for the pointer and index finger run. The trainers said the nerve is inflamed near the elbow and it sends the pain to the wrist area just because thats what the nerve does. Should i be worried about tendentious? Ive been throwin my whole life and this is the first serious arm problem ive had. Any input on how to treat it or anything at all is much appreciated
Avatar n tn
The name of the nerve that you are referring to is the median nerve. It does runs from the brachial plexus (in the shoulder), down to the thumb,pointer, middle, and posterior half of the ring finger. The ulnar nerve on the other hand runs the anterior side of the forearm providing sensation to the anterior side of the ring finger and the pinky finger. On the other side of the arm there is the radial nerve which runs the anterior (thumb side) of the forearm. From what you are explaining this sounds like it may be the nerve in question. I suffer from compression of the median nerve (carpel tunnel). I have found that icing the area in question after strenuous activities seams to help, it reduces the inflation, there ore reducing the pressure put on the nerve. Second I ofter take a lot of ibuprofen, again this reduces inflammation around the nerve. You may not want to throw as hard for a week or two to give the affected area a chance to settle down and go back to the way it was. It just sounds like it has been over used. Hope that this helps