Memory Loss with Seizures
My husband had a seizure a month ago.  He is 33 years old and his first seizure and only one before this was 16 years ago.  His MRI and EEG were fine, thank goodness.  He is suffering now from short term memory loss, I am so concerned.  He is going to the Neurologist next week, but I am freaking out now.  Is this a normal side effect of a seizure?
My 16 year old daughter had a grand mal seizure on Saturday, she also is suffering from short term memory loss, from everything im reading, this is normal! Is your husband also very fatigued? Dizzy? She hasnt had a MRI yet, it will be two weeks before they can get her in, Im scared to leave her alone! No one knows what caused it yet, that means I cant do anything to prevent it. I know what you mean about freaking out!!

Dana

How are you?
Yes short term memory loss is common after seizures due to dysfunction in the hippocampal area of brain.
http://www.neurologychannel.com/epilepsy/symptoms.shtml

I had some grand mal seizures and then developed partial seizures where I would feel funny kinda anxious, my mouth would water like crazy, i would have this very strange smell and then I would throw up.  I started keeping a log of the episodes i would have them 25-30 times a month. Every three months I would have a short term memoryloss after the funny feeling. My doc then had me come to the hospital for 5 days where I was hooked up to an eeg that recorded mt brain funtion 24/day.  There was also a video recording at the same time, a microphone and a button i had by the bed.  When i felt an episode comming on I pushed the button which synced the video and microphoneand I would explain everything that was happening/ what I felt.  This showed the doctors that the episodes I was having were actually seizures based on my explination and the eeg read out.  It is called eeg with video telematry.  Your husband could be having partial seizures and not know it.  In the hospital they captured 5 seizures, some that I knew and pushed the button and some were when i was sleeping and obviously did not know it.  I know have been on 3000mg of keppra and 400mg of vimpat a day the seizuresare now less about 10-15 a month but I recently had a memory loss episode which was 3 month after my last memory loss.  You should ask your/his doctor about these situations that are similar, He/she should know about video telematry and would know if it is something your husband should try.  Oh and my first grand mal was 15 years ago i am now 33, all my eegs always came up fine with no problems.  Blessings and prayers for your husband