Neurology Community
Memory Loss

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Memory Loss

On October 14th, 1997 I had a seizure i the Magnolia Refinery in Beaumont TX and woke up 3 days later in the hospital.  For the next 3 years I would go in and out of consciousnesses and could not be left alone, family members had to stay with me, and doctors in Beaumont, Galveston and Houston TX all could not figure out what was going on with me.  Finally a doctor noticed that my glucose had suddenly skyrocket over 400 and put me on fact acting insoline.  In about 4 months I lost almost 100 pounds (wait that I had gained in the past 4 years) and was able to be normal again if I stayed on my isoline, however at times I had to get off of it and I have got off of it for almost a year at a time as my glucose levels would stay in the 80 to 130 range mostly the low range.  But I still have the seizures and such so the only thing I can drive is my mike or my moped.  Well back in January of this year, my wife noticed that my face was doing its thing (she notices it before I am aware of it) and the shaking and stuff was telling me to go take my insoline and my migraine pills before I passed out again.  Well I gut up and passed out and woke up several hours later in the hospital, and I also had lost the ability to talk again for several hours, now my memory is messed up, things I've done my entire life I am having problems remembering how to do and if I look it up if I don't write it down I forget within seconds of what i just read.  What is causing these issues?  I am getting frustrated with myself for not knowing how to do what I've done my entire life and it has cost me and my wife our job.  I am a type 1 diabetic, I have antiflisix and have to keep eppiepines with me at all times, and I have what is called a compleas seizure disorder.  But I've never had memory issues before like I am now.
Well, first, let me please address any financial issues you must be putting up with right now.  See can you get disability, I'm SURE you can.  Go to the Social Security Disability website, and check thru THE extensive lists of what they will accept as a disability.

Next, if it helps any, for SOME reason, and I do not know why other than I had to take chemotherapy for cancer, and I'm on some pain drugs for fracturing my back in a car wreck, about five altogether meds I take.  I too MUST write down a lot of stuff to look up, because just like you, within seconds I will forget it.  A REAL pain in the neck.  But at least you know, too, to write it down forthwith.  But what you also need to know is, it's okay to forget whatever the heck you were trying to remember.  I'm used to it, annoying, but I just go around it.

As for your memories of your life, it depends on if you had brain damage or not, as a result of the insulin situation.  Let's say it's anxiety-related or whatever, then you can go to a qualified hypnosis doctor, ask them to put you under, and they can find out some particulars about some few years in your life that you cannot recall, and he can get a recording of what you say happened.  By the by, it really is true that as we age, we forget ALL KINDS of details.  I post in diff places for many years on internet, and occasionally I'll come by an old one, and I will have forgotten all those details.  But now, I DO remember the general drift of my life.  But I've also had a very few occasions where someone will mention something that I am supposed to know and don't, and it scares the living daylights out of me.  Of course, I take tranqs and pain meds, so after a while, I get over myself.

The best place to start is right where you are when you have such a devastating injury to your body the way you have.  Amnesia people got it in spades.  I just WISH your docs would get a little better handle on this for you, have more advanced info on it, improved ways of helping you.  I know on TV there's bunches of ads about quick ways to check blood sugars, and next time you think your sugars are low, ALWAYS keeps where you usually sit some sort of sugary item to get  your numbers up, before you stand.

As for getting around, could be that since your money may be in limbo for a while, downsizing is an option, and if you can live in a good place but much cheaper, AND super convenient (I used to live within bicycling distance to the grocery store, library, laundry, some pubs and shopping).  I don't live there now, but sometimes I wish I could live somewhere like that now, becuz as I've aged and had all sorts of things happen to myself, I'd like to live in a more convenient place, like downtown in a loft or something.

Lastly, hopefully you can find a website with a forum, where amnesiacs, short-term memory loss people, blood sugar memory loss folk all talk over their problems, and there you will find perhaps some support.  By the by, a CT scan of your brain may show where any damage might have been, if any.