Neurology Expert Forum
Memory loss following brain injury
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Memory loss following brain injury

5 months ago my son suffered a head injury when he was shot in the face when he was held-up.  The bullet left him blind in one eye and caused damage to his sinuses. He also had to have surgery afterwards to seal a csf leak. Per the neurosurgeons, the bullet just "grazed" or "bruised" the front of his brain and there was some subarachnoid bleeding that resolved on its own.  He is preparing to return to college and I am concerned about some memory problems.  The ones that I am seeing mostly relate to time - i.e. What month it is; The amount of time that has passed since an event; etc.  I am worried that what I see is only the tip of the iceberg and maybe he will have bigger problems when he returns to school.  (He already has to deal with ADD) Our primary care physician isn't worried about the possible memory loss.  Could this sort of injury cause any significant memory loss or learning problems?  Suggestions?
Thank you!